Thursday, May 5, 2011

Playtime



"A man growing old becomes a child again."  Sophocles.

PLAYTIME!
(Reprint)

Ladies of a certain age, out for a docile stroll,
Saw the playground equipment and said 'Well! Bless my soul!
I feel like having a go at that! There's nobody here to see!
I'll pretend that I'm a monkey in the branches of a tree!'
So there and then they all skimmed up, some quickly, some sedately.
(It was easy to see, among the group, who hadn't exercised lately!)
Of course, I'd have been the most agile, climbing high as a giraffe,
But I was otherwise occupied, taking the photograph!
*
Yes I know it's Second Childhood, but, when all is said and done,
We ladies of a certain age still have a lot of fun!
*
----------------------------------------------------

BLANKET CREEP!

In the dark he touched her arm and said
'Every single night when we're in bed
It's the same old story, blanket-creep!
How am I ever going to get to sleep?
Night after night, it cannot be denied,
You roll over and drag things to your side.
You're curled up there, like a cosy little mole,
While I never seems to have the same control!
Look at me now! My right side's all exposed!
You're snoring and I haven't even dozed!
When first we married I was quite prepared
To tolerate the night-life that we shared.
I'd take the direction of the departing sheet
Moving over, and that was rather sweet.
It often resulted in a little cuddle,
Even though the bed was in a muddle.
But now that we've been married thirty years!
I tell you, dear, it's going to end in tears!
Right here and now I give my final warning.
I'm going home to Mother in the morning!'
*

No comments: