Monday, June 20, 2011

Through A Child's Eyes.


MELLOW YELLOW MONDAY

THROUGH A CHILD'S EYES

A gas-mask, hardly a childhood toy!
But then, most of you weren't there.
Hitler's a creature of history;
The War an old affair.
But I was a child of the Second World War,
Born in 1931,
And I have to say I found gas-masks
Quite a lot of fun!
I remember when they were doled-out,
Some time the previous year,
When Hitler invaded Poland
And made it very clear
That he wanted the whole of Europe
Including the British Isles.
He wanted his soldiers to strut our streets
With their jackboots and 'Sieg Heils'.
When we went to collect our gas-masks
A new design was displayed,
A gas-mask for tiny babies
To be used in case of a raid.
They were called 'Mickey Mouses'
Although I'm sad to say
They didn't look like a mouse at all,
Not in any way.


Oh how I loved my gas-mask,
In it's neat little cardboard box!
(Sorry I simply can't recount
Death or Fear or Shocks!)
Sometimes we'd go for little walks
Wearing our precious masks!
Acting as though light-hearted
Was one of motherhood's tasks.


But best of all were the practices
We had to have in school;
Learning to take them off and on
Was part of the Golden rule.


And then came the really lovely part
For all the girls and boys.
If we blew hard into the mouthpiece
We could all make
A RUDE NOISE!
*

-------------------------------------------------------

A QUIRK AT WORK!

Oh that quirky DNA!
It works in a peculiar way!
I've always loved to tread the boards
(Though never winning fat awards!)
My two children would rather die
Than act! They say they'd feel too shy.
Yet here's my cousin's daughter, Ruth,
'A chip off the old block'! That's the truth!
Here she's a drunk! (Putting on an act.
We're a sober family; that's a fact!)
Britain's rather too far to go,
Or else I'd have paid to see the show.
Although Ruth's certainly not a daughter
Doesn't it prove blood's thicker than water?
*

4 comments:

Raising Your Child said...

Thanks for posting. Interesting blog. Great information.

Kim, USA said...

If I see a gas mask like this I feel it's the end of the world ^_^

Asian lilies

Marites said...

very interesting post..I like the information about it too.

Kay L. Davies said...

How good that the school children learned how to use the masks without being terrorized by the experience. And I love the part about the rude noise!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel