Saturday, June 25, 2011

Motive



SUNDAY SCRIBBLINGS
gave us the prompt 'Give'.

MOTIVE

My motives have always bedevilled me;
Introspection has made me aware
That at all times I give out of self-love,
Not because I, unselfishly, care.
A little black toad is in residence
Up there in my self-conscious brain;
It says 'Wow! You are great being generous!'
And I try to damp-down that refrain.
I want to be noble and selfless;
I want to put other folk first;
I want to be loving and giving
But it seems that desiring is cursed.
For in wanting I'm still saying 'Me first!;
I need to feel good for my sake;
I want to feel all warm and fuzzy!'
*
In other words, I am a fake.
*

--------------------------------------------------------


THE CELL


Though iron bars may hold me
My spirit still flies free.
I shall grow ever upward
Like the branches of a tree.
*

11 comments:

rel said...

Of course, you've hit the nail on the head. We always do what makes us feel good.
rel

Susannah said...

Both beautiful. :-)

Susannah said...

By the way, it is still not showing 'comment' on your potato post? So I can't leave you one there.

I just wanted to say that I loved that post, especially. . .
"Vegetables smooth and un-eyed
Are only adored by their mothers."

- that made me smile!

jabblog said...

Is anyone ever truly altruistic?

Altonian said...

Your poem is so very, very, very true of what is happening in Finland just now. We have a new prime minister who is most anxious to give away Finland's cash (Borrowed by the way) to places like Greece, Portugal and Ireland, just so he can boast that we are a great and altruistic nation. We are smaller than Greater Birmingham, and full of poor, unemployed Finns, and scrounging foreigners. Therefore yours is a great, timely poem.

Linda Jacobs said...

Oh, yeah, so much truth to this! And you did such a good job with the rhyme; it sounds so natural.

Anonymous said...

Yep yep yep! That's me in a nutshell.

Anonymous said...

I love your honesty I am very much like you. Likely if we ever do give selflessly its in the moment and we don't realize we've given something lol

Shammi said...

You and me both, lady... you and me both!

Both poems are brilliant! :)

Kate said...

Truer words I've never read!

Anonymous said...

just out visiting again and came back to read your second poem once more. So beautiful that image of the branches growing ever upward, even though confined.
~Jeanne