Thursday, June 16, 2011

Shaking the Spear

William Shakespeare Caricature Photo

SHAKING THE SPEAR
I have tinkered with the first lines of The Bard's sonnets.

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I turn my mind from memories too fraught;
When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
I tell myself that all they say is lies.
Then, weary with toil I haste me to my bed
Allowing gentler thoughts to fill my head.
As an unperfect actor on the stage
I try to turn my back on pain and rage.
Let those who are in favour with their stars
Make out that life has left them free of mortal scars.
My glass shall not persuade me I am old,
Until this heart of mine is dead and cold.

Dear Shakespeare, thank you for each opening line.
The other silly bits , I fear, are mine.
*

-----------------------------------------------------------

SHOO SAND!

I'm wrestling with a snake!
He's wriggling!
Well, for goodness sake!
Now I'm giggling?
Sand between my toes!
It's scratching!
Down the drain it goes!
Despatching!
Max down by the sea!
But not now
Because he's grown, you see,
A lot now!
Days down at the beach!
Delightful!
Already out of reach.
How frightful!
Time goes by so fast!
He's growing!
Last year's days have past!
No slowing!
Pictures on a screen
Remind us
Of a time-past scene,
Now behind us.
*

2 comments:

from my wicked ways to turning a phrase said...

great writes again!I swear I read 'em all needed new laptop to actually comment. from one poet (sic) hope you enjoy mine as much as I do yours-thanks

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Fun stuff! I especially liked your Shakespearean ode! :)