Monday, June 27, 2011

Dear John


SATURDAY CENTUS
asks for brevity on this topic!

DEAR JOHN

Dear John,
You've gone!
Your friend Jack
Says 'Don't come back!'

*

------------------------------------------------------

ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM!

It's hard to ignore, so I presume,
A hulking great elephant in the room!
You'd hardly look up with a cursory glance
If an elephant entered the room by chance!
Here is the foyer of an hotel!
Will he walk to the desk and ring the bell?
Or will he do a trumpeting laugh
And quite demoralise the watching staff?
See them cowering on the right!
I think they may have got a fright!
*
I was once in a Game Reserve
When, coming round the bush-track's curve,
An enormous elephant , great head nodding,
Came towards us, slowly plodding!
We were in a four-wheel-drive
But we scarcely expected to stay alive!
One great foot could have squashed us all!
He so big! And us so small!
The Ranger said 'We must just reverse!
Staying would be a great deal worse!'
So, slowly, the car was backed and backed,
While we all hoped to remain intact.
The reversing seemed endless, ages passed,
The track was narrow; we couldn't go fast.
And that great elephant kept on coming,
The whole effect was simply numbing!
At last we reached a wider track,
Turned and drove off. We didn't look back!
*
But I sympathise with the folk above!
I know just what they're thinking of!
There really is a sense of doom
When you find 'the elephant in the room'!
*

8 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL, both writes are great!

Nonna said...

Excellent poems !

Your talent is amazing to behold...loved them !

Judie said...

The first is perfect for the prompt. The second, I would have loved to see! Both are wonderful!!!!

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

LOL! Fun verse, as always!

Unknown said...

Dear Brenda,
I'm so glad you are playing with us! (I noticed that you posted something last week too. I'll try to get back and read your post. I'm in the middle of packing, so my blogging has been spotty.)

Thank you so much for visiting my SC-post. Your kind words are appreciated. I do alright writing prose, but I'm no good at verse. These two poems are both jewels!
You are simply amazing!

Best wishes,
Anna

For the benefit of other readers:
Sanna writes to John Tell-Anna's SC wk 60

BECKY said...

Great! This is my first time here and I loved reading your profile. What an amazing life you've had...and are still having!

21 Wits said...

Oh this is good...but the photo ...is priceless!

Jenny said...

I am laughing so hard at your Dear John poem. Seriously. That just really hit my funny bone! You are a gem at capturing amazing images in poetry.

I adore your writing.