Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Envious Thanks

Visit
EVERY PHOTO TELLS A STORY
everyphototellsastory.blogspot.com
to enjoy a beautiful painting of a rose.
Under the painting is the suggestion that we should use this example of a 
Pink Rose 
to Thank someone. 
My thanks are tinged with envy.

ENVIOUS THANKS

Thank you to all the artists in my life,
Whose works have satisfied an inner me.
It cuts me like the very sharpest knife
To know cack-handed I will ever be.
How is it that I know just how it feels
To see a vision right behind my eyes,
And yet my effort once again reveals
I've failed, despite a thousand tries.
An artist dreams a dream and then propels
The picture on to canvas without pain,
I dream and then the foolish hand rebels
And I am left with rubbish once again.
Where is the flaw? In arm or hand or eye?
Where is the break between the brain and page?
My wings have simply never learned to fly;
My actors never strut on any stage.
So thankyou for the second-hand delight
I feel when others paint as I should do.
Jealousy-clouded thoughts obscure the sight,
But .... 'Thank you for the joy that comes from you'.



6 comments:

Jinksy said...

What an exact description of the 'I wish I could do that!' feeling that creativity urges bring each time we see a new delight... Full marks for capturing it on paper for us.

antigoni said...

Beautiful words.

Margaret Gosden said...

If I thought about making art that way, I would have a huge block, too! The teacher that I had many years ago would say, 'Don't think about it, JUST do it!' But thanks for your tribute to artists - I cannot do what you do either!

L.Holm said...

Dear Brenda - I painted this particular one, and still feel the same when I look at others' work! lol. Each blank canvas is a bloody struggle, and I feel I'm falling far short of what I intended. I wish I had your gift with words.
Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I'm honoured in return! Liz

Every Photo Tells A Story said...

Haha! Yes, gratitude can be mixed with envy, can't it? And, I feel the same as you.

P.S. Your wings have just flown in a different direction!

Kat said...

I visit to..

read..

every poem, that tells a story :)))