Saturday, May 2, 2009

Poet Laureate

Carol Ann Duffy

There has never been a female Poet Laureate before ! One up for the Suffragettes!

POET LAUREATE!

It only took four hundred years for a woman to become
Great Britain's Poet Laureate and not just someone's Mum!
Carol Ann Duffy I salute your title at this time!
Lesson: to get famous, don't write things in rhyme!

Talent
 by Carol Ann Duffy
This is the word tightrope. Now imagine
a man, inching across it in the space
between our thoughts. He holds our breath.

There is no word net.

You want him to fall, don't you?
I guessed as much; he teeters but succeeds.
The word applause is written all over him.

4 comments:

Winifred said...

I think your poems are better Brenda.

I don't get poetry that doesn't rhyme.

Although it's great to have a woman Poet Laureate, I still prefer Roger McGough's stuff. It makes me laugh.

Breeding Fancy Art Prints said...

Hi there!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope my ramblings got you giddy for travel. And, I hope your NZ trip is/was even HALF as fantastic as mine was for me... if so, then that'll be a trip to remember!

diane b said...

her poem may be a bit weird but she has a nice name. It is the same as my daughter Carol-Ann.

Kat said...

Sigh... I am a bit cross eyed reading that. It sounded the way I would've written a poem :))))

anyway loooong back I've saluted our People's Poet - Brenda the Great..!!!!