Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day

MEME EXPRESS
memeexpress.blogspot.com
suggests 'MOTHER' as a topic.

MOTHERS' DAY

When I was young, so long ago that it's quite hard to recall
We didn't celebrate Mothers' Day; we didn't mark it at all.
Except that, on Mothering Sunday, after Sunday School,
The children took home violets; that was the general rule.
Just a tiny posy of violets as a little floral token!
No cards were sent, no feast prepared, no gushing words were spoken.
This Mothers' Day I'll be given gifts, I'll be taken out to dine,
And everything will be lovely! I might even quaff some wine.
But I'll be reminiscing, without sadness or regrets,
And I'll pretend that everything
Is a bunch of violets.


More violets (this time for a Violet) here:
http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2009/03/331-violet-gwendoline.html

7 comments:

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

So nice....and true. No Mother's Day when I was young either. Now the marketing blitz is such that we forget what it is for.

Tikno said...

Good post! and smile for you.
You deserved for this Mother's Day.

Tikno said...

Happy Mother's Day for you.

Lucy said...

that simpler time sounds like perfection to me! Hope your day tomorrow is lovely and by all means Quaff away! :)

Darlene said...

Happy Mother's Day, Brenda. Enjoy the outing just as much as you enjoyed the beautiful violets. It's really the love from the giver that counts.

Unknown said...

Happy mother's day, Rinkly Rhymes. I hope you get some violets. :-)

Kat said...

a touching Motherly poem.

I think, a Mom has to be celebrated everyday.