Saturday, May 16, 2009

Paint

For
PHOTOHUNT
http://tnchick.com/

A friend of mine, Alf, has 'found himself' at 79! He has just had an exhibition of his paintings and he has decided to take-up voice training as a sideline!! As they say in Oz 'Good on him!'
See some of his paintings (and some ceramic work) above.

He doesn't need to echo the plaint of my poem!


PAINT

Once my paint-pots were brimming.
They encircled me
Neatly, roundly,
With the smooth surfaces
Of the paint within,
At the ready.


At that time
I knew I could pick up my brush,
Dip it in
And paint my future.


Maybe I should have dipped more deeply,
Chosen my colours more wildly,
Taken more risks.


Instead I was timid with my brush.
What if I made a wrong stroke?
What if no-one liked my work?
What if I used-up my paint too quickly?


My paint has lasted a long time,
Because I have used it sparingly.


Too sparingly.


But there is still some left
In the bottom of each pot.


The blue looks inviting.
The red blazes.
The yellow makes my heart dance.


I am becoming primary.


Any minute now
I shall pour out my paint
In a defiant gesture
Over the walls, the furniture and the windows.


And let it do its own thing.


It will splash and sing
And mingle and create.

It will be used.

At last.

Accidental art here:

5 comments:

Margaret Gosden said...

I think you do pretty well with painterly words, rhymes and thoughts! I would not like to see paint thrown about willy nilly without using a brain to show you haven't lost it! Alf obviously hasn't lost it.

Arlene said...

Nice painted wall, Brenda!

Happy week-end!

Teena in Toronto said...

Congrats to your friend!

Such lovely colours!

I played too :)

srp said...

Some people may paint with oils and watercolors, others paint with their voices or instruments... you paint with words. Very nice!
Mine is up here.

Kat said...

A very powerful poem. Melted with each line..!!!

Loved the.. My paint has lasted a long time,
Because I have used it sparingly.

Too sparingly.

But there is still some left
In the bottom of each pot.


read somewhere.... Awaken and Strengthen what remains..!!!