Friday, May 29, 2009

The Jury's Out

EASY STREET 
has jogged my memory again!

The topic?
'A JURY OF OUR PEERS'

THE JURY'S OUT!

I've never been called to Jury Duty, though I'm quite an age,
But I was once a jury member in a play upon a stage.
The play was 'Trial by Jury', which was rather apt, I guess;
It was one of the Light Operas written by G. and S.
(Gilbert and Sullivan, of course; I'm sure that's understood.)
I remember thinking, at the time, that it was rather good.
We were an all-female jury and we wore extravagant hats,
While the gentlemen, who were lawyers, wore shiny shoes and spats.
We only had to sit there, giving a frown or smile,
And often bursting into song, in true light opera style.
I can't remember the numbers; it's all so long ago,
But I'm sure today's musicians would find the whole thing slow.
Now, I'm a so-so singer, but dancing's not my thing;
I find it hard to remember words while I hop and prance and spring!
So I remember 'Jury' as a show that fitted my bill,
For I could act my heart out while I was sitting still!


An even earlier venture on the stage here:


2 comments:

Melli said...

LOL! This is great! I'm quite the opposite! I can't sing a note - but theatrical I CAN be! The only problem now days is... I can remember my LINES!!!

Kat said...

went down memory lane, with this poem.

Was once roped in college to do some dance with people on stage...!!!

And I was shivering as I had to do that act in the opening lines..!!

And mercifully, something went wrong with the stage lights and I did that in absolute dark - to my delight :)))))