Sunday, June 3, 2012

Something in the Air


POETIC BLOOMINGS
chose the title

SOMETHING IN THE AIR

There's something in the air
And I wish that I were there,
For sixty years ago I was in the crowd.
And it rained back then, of course,
As soldier, coach and horse
Filed past us. And we felt so very proud.

Jingoisms mad!
Patriotism's sad.
A Queen is just a woman, after all,
But I really, really care
And I wish that I were there
Waving a flag, and feeling ten feet tall.
*
------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESIDENTIAL PINKNESS!

See the President's Palace, Taipai,
On some great ceremonious day!
The ladies in pink 
Are making me think
That a festival's now underway.
*
Their pinkness just can't be denied!
Each one like a bright rosy bride!
'Does good luck?' I muse
'Favour these blushing hues?
Is that why they're full of Pink Pride?
*
Is the President's favourite shade
The colour of pink lemonade?
Or is it by chance
That the ladies who dance
Are so prettily, pinkly displayed?
*
Like roses they bloom in the sun
And it looks like a great deal of fun!
Whatever the cause
I like them because
They look happy, when all's said and done.
*


2 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

It must have been amazing to be there sixty years ago!

Margaret Gosden said...

Yes, I am happy to be living to tell my grandchildren I was there, waiting in the rain, to see the coach go by for the Coronation! And the view I got yesterday of the procession on the Thames - what a spectacular event - my American 'children' and my grandchildren were impressed (as I was at the history that was represented in all those ancient-looking boats resurrected for the occasion!) Needless to say, I was with Brenda when we
slept out in the rain to watch the coach go by 60 years ago.