Sunday, June 10, 2012

Clarity



CARRY ON TUESDAY

We are asked to use the title of the Johnny Nash song 'I Can see Clearly Now'.


CLARITY

I can see clearly now,
With great precision.
After short-sighted years,
Twenty-twenty vision!
Cataracts were a bore;
Now they've departed!
I can see clearly now
And I'm light-hearted.
*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAYING FOR PERFECTION

We envy them their stardom, their agility and grace;
We envy them their dazzling looks, both in form and face.
But, sometimes, there, behind the scenes, lurks sadness and distress.
Take this picture of Vera Ellen, in her glorious swirling dress.
Was there ever a better picture of movement, joy and light?
Was there any doubt that she would know a lifetime of delight?
Yet, I read in her biography that she had anorexia;
Her sylph-like shape was no accident, that's absolutely clear.
Her baby died of cot-death, and after that she withdrew
From public life altogether; she gave-up dancing too.
She died at the age of sixty, not even very old.
It seems her fairy-story was all too quickly told.
So, when you feel unnoticed and even a little bitter,
Remember that much of Hollywood lies beneath the surface glitter.
*

9 comments:

George S Batty said...

congrats on a successful operation for better vision...won't be long before i will have to have mine done. I really enjoyed perfection take because it is oh so true...to often we only dancing girl on the cover.
nice writing

Unspoken said...

This I can see clearly now mixed with the price of fame below was a good combination.

joanne said...

Well-done.....had a good chuckle too

Daydreamertoo said...

So many of the Hollywood stars are not happy at all in their private lies. I didn't know that about Vera Ellen, how sad.
Very nice read on both.

keiths ramblings said...

I can see why your are pleased!

Myrna R. said...

I'm so glad you can see clearly now, literally.

I know what you mean about Hollywood glitter. I've never envied a life of fame.

Really nice post.

Belva Rae Staples said...

Thanks for pointing out the fact that we need to look beyond the glitter to find what's important!

Davidlind said...

I see clearly the point here!

Hannah said...

I would love laser surgery correction...near-sighted and tired of the troublesome lenses.

Smiles to you, Rinkly!