Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dementia



IMAGINARY GARDEN
chose a tough topic this week

DEMENTIA

Do not feel sorry for me now.
I am beyond sorrow.
Feel sorry for yourself.
I am dark and woolly in here,
Unaware,
Unafraid,
Untouched.
As I was before birth.
The time for feeling sorry was then.
Then?
Back then when only
An unimportant phrase was lost.
Back then
When I forgot where I lived.
Back then
When we looked at each other and.....knew.
Then I knew terror;
Then I knew anguish;
Then I knew despair.
And you were sorry.
But how to express your sorrow
Without admitting defeat?
Now you express your sorrow.
But I look at you
Unmoved,
Unresponsive,
Uninvolved.
For I am not here.
Do not feel sorry for me now.
I am beyond sorrow.
*
Feel sorry for yourself.
*
------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie Storry
RED BADGE OF COURAGE

She could have put the kettle on to have a cup of tea;
She could have slumped in her armchair watching vacuous TV.

She could have written to her daughter bemoaning her lonely state;
She could have wept some hopeless tears for her very long-gone mate.
She could have napped for several hours, lying on her bed.
She could even have whispered to herself 'I wish that I were dead.'
But no, she put on her red hat, and went out in the winter air,
Saying 'Whatever the future holds I simply do not care'.
A badge of courage takes many forms, I am certain of that,
And there's nothing more courageous than a cheerful bright red hat.
*

8 comments:

Isadora Gruye said...

I like the direction you took with this challenge, the voice of a survivor, a sliver of silver lining. The voice you captured is unique and stunning. viva la

Tina´s PicStory said...

a very sad and true poem.

Hannah said...

Back then when only
An unimportant phrase was lost

This and the progression after this is so impact-full, Rinkly. Such a painfully well written poem.

Helen said...

Great job, Brenda ... the prompt was a difficult one for me. Both of your poems touched me, I want to be the woman wearing the red hat - not the gentleman who is lost.

Other Mary said...

Yes, the scary part is when they are still aware enough to realize they are losing their memory.

And, love your badge of courage. That's real courage!

Laurie Kolp said...

Love your different twist on the topic, Brenda... and the ending- Wow!! Thanks so much for taking part in the prompt.

Kay L. Davies said...

A wonderfully different look at dementia, Brenda. Thanks for this. It makes me feel better, somehow.

And I remember that photo of Julie's. A bright red hat is indeed a red badge of courage.

K

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love both of these poems. The first, for understanding that at some point, the person with Alzheimers is not suffering nearly as much as those who love him or her. The second because that red hat IS a badge of courage and humans can be just incredibly brave. Well done!