Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fish Hoek

FISH HOEK

Pronounce the 'hoek' as 'hook', my friends,
And then you'll be correct.
The name is an Afrikaans one
As I know you must suspect.
Fish Hoek is near Cape Town
In Africa, in The Cape.
It's the place to where, in summer,
Urban dwellers escape;
Escape from the heat of the cities
When they can't take much more,
To laze around on the beaches
And savour the sandy shore.
It's a charming place to visit
And we did so quite a lot,
Finding the 'fishing-village'
A very pleasant spot.
I had a friend called Isabelle
And in our younger days
We used to rent her family's flat
For seaside holidays.
So my two little children 
Would gambol on the beach
Whenever we came from Cape Town,
Which was in easy reach.
Two years ago I was back there
After forty years or more
And Isabelle was still there,
In a house nearer the shore.
We sat over tea and chatted
About times so long ago.
And here are some photos of Fish Hoek
Which you'll enjoy, I know.
*
Position near Cape Town.
Isabelle's family flat was just above the central palm trees.
Visits from whales were common.
The road between Cape Town and Fish Hoek.
There is protection from falling boulders all the way.


View from the mountains.
*
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHERE'S MAX?

Have you seen Max?
*
Why! No! Have you?
*
Well, what do you think we ought to do?
*
Do you think he's run away?
*
When we tell his mother, what shall we say?
*
He was here a moment ago!
*
I think you were in charge!
*
Hey! No!
He was holding your hand! You are to blame!
*
He's been with you ever since we came!
*
Poor little Max. He's not yet three!
How very lonely he must be!
*
Fancy losing a little child!
His father will go really wild!
*
His mother will get in an awful tizz!
*
Gales of laughter! There he is!
*

14 comments:

Esther Joy said...

What a delightful poem! Looks like a place I would love to escape to today - It's 101* right now!

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful memories! Fish Hoek, e/? Now I know how to pronouce it correctly.

Maude Lynn said...

Wow! Fish Hoek is lovely!

VBR said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos with us. The blue of that water in simply amazing.

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

The place is lovely and I like you Fish Hoek poem!

~Naila Moon
http://imaphotographicgenius.blogspot.com/2012/06/falphabe-thursday.html

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to see the blue skies of South Africa again. I didn't live in Fish Hoek, but I wonder if you or Isabel knew my sister and her Hubby who have lived there for almost 20 years; 'Fish hoek Electric'
Loved reading your poetry too.
Liz

Unknown said...

This looks like a wonderful place to explore.

Jo said...

Fabulous! Fish Hoek looks so inviting ... and Max, great at hiding!!!

anitamombanita said...

Hy hubs lived there for a couple years. He LOVED it!!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Lovely story in poetry! And great photos!

Blessings & Aloha!

Erika said...

Nice photos. It is nice to see photos of Africa other than desert. I had no idea.

Judie said...

B, I used to have actual dreams of going to Africa. What a wonderful post for me to read. It's a keeper for sure!!

Theresa Plas said...

So picturesque! Had to giggle over the "lost Max" story! Cuteness!

Jenny said...

Oh my. What a fantastic link!

These pictures just take my breath away. I would truly love to visit these places someday!

And the little story about Max was just fabulous!

Thanks for the smile and thanks for linking.

A+