Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Sounds of Silence



CARRY ON TUESDAY
asks us to use this quote from David Whalen

I listen to the silence as you do also


THE SOUNDS OF SILENCE

There is no such thing as silence.
If you listen you'll agree.
For there are sounds we do not hear
Or so it seems to me.
I rarely stop to listen
To the sound of breathing in
Though I'm forced to hear the churning
Of the traffic's passing din.
I don't hear my own footsteps
As I walk across the floor,
Yet I'm conscious of the crashing waves
As I wander on the shore.
The ticking of the kitchen clock
Is constant but unheard,
As is the rhythmic chirping
Of some merry distant bird.
When you stop to listen,
As, I'm sure, you rarely do,
You will also hear those 'silent' sounds
And listen to them too.
*
------------------------------------------------------------------


UP AND AWAY!
I don't know what it's advertising;
I only know that it's surprising!
Who wouldn't notice this visual joke
With it's happy little airborne bloke?
*

7 comments:

Mary said...

Visiting from "Carry On Tuesday." Indeed you are right! There ARE sounds we do not hear, or perhaps do not hear until we actually TRY to hear them. My dogs (as I mentioned in my poem for this prompt) hear many things that I don't. And then....there is selective hearing!

keiths ramblings said...

Silence can be very noisy! Love your take on the prompt.

Daydreamertoo said...

I agree. I don't think there is any such thing as true silence because, we still have the constant noise of our minds endless churning.

Unknown said...

Very well done. I could hear the silence you spoke of.

George S Batty said...

I always enjoy my visits here..today I found an acorn...thank you

joanne said...

I cannot say enough wonderful things about your rhymes - I love them all ....When we listen carefully to silence, we realize that there is no real silence, just a lot of sounds we need to pause to hear....You have captured this concept so very well.....

haikuWater said...

Cleverly rhyming silence poem with a cheery spirit!