Friday, July 20, 2012

Deja Vu


WEEKEND REFLECTION

DEJA VU

Do not look into this globe to see your future life,
For this globe shows a time already gone!
As soon as the scene was photographed it was no longer there
And all that showed within it had moved on.
No witch within her fairground tent could foretell future times
From this globe, for it shows a scene that's past.
All she could say, in sepulchral tones, is
'Pleasure is not made to last.'
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                Paul Signac

MOOD MEASURE

Measure your mood, for good measure;
Take heed of your reply.
But first gaze at this lovely scene
This glorious pink-flushed sky.
See how it tints the water
With the glow from overhead;
See all the shades of colour
From salmon to almost-red.
Then ask yourself a question,
Silently, inside your head.
'Is it dawning or is it sunset?
Is the sun about to rise?
Or is it sinking in the west?
Are these morning or evening skies?
I believe, if you say 'Morning'
You're the optimistic sort;
Never allowing depression
To enter your slightest thought.
I believe, if you say 'Evening',
You err on the gloomy side,
Your mind has that sinking feeling;
A fact you cannot hide.
Of course, I'm just writing a poem;
I'm not your proverbial 'shrink',
But I think I've hit on something!
What do the rest of you think?
*
---------------------------------------------------------
PS


Though still partially 'bandaged' I joined the rest of my friends in a tour of the Art Gallery this-morning. Australia has a portrait competition every year and the winners are displayed in local areas in turn. This month it has been Newcastle's turn. We booked a guided tour and learned some interesting facts about past competitions. Here are three examples of this year's crop. There were 8000 entries!

This was the winner and I didn't care for it at all! For one thing, the whole thing had to be explained to us before we could make any sense out of it. How many of my readers could tell that it was based on a Hieronymus Bosch painting, for instance?
This one won the Packers' Prize, awarded by the workers who do all the carrying and lifting. They always choose something very realistic, as you can tell, by seeing the actual man, actor John Wood, by the painting's side.

And this was one of my favourites. I don't know anything about the lady, and, evidently, she hates the portrait (understandably), but I feel I know her from this painting. That's what I like in a portrait.
*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments: