Monday, July 2, 2012

Whose Hues?

Painting A Traffic Light

BLUE MONDAY


WHOSE HUES?

When Sadie stayed with Granny
Granny always did her best
To further her education
So she set a little test.
Sadie was only four years old
So very young and small
So Granny tested her colours
To see if she knew them all.
'What colour is grass?' she questioned
And 'Green' came the answer back.
'And what's the colour of Sootie cat?'
The child responded 'Black.'
'Tell me the colour of lipstick'
The kindly Granny said,
And quick as a flash the answer came...
'I know what it is. It's red!'
When asked the colour of the sky
The child piped up with 'Blue!'
And Granny was delighted
With the colours that she knew.
*
When Granny was saying her farewells
She said 'Please come again!'
And Sadie surprised her by saying
'You might know your colours by then!'
*
-----------------------------------------------------------------

William Shakespeare Caricature Photo

SHAKING THE SPEAR
I have tinkered with the first lines of The Bard's sonnets.

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I turn my mind from memories too fraught;
When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
I tell myself that all they say is lies.
Then, weary with toil I haste me to my bed
Allowing gentler thoughts to fill my head.
As an unperfect actor on the stage
I try to turn my back on pain and rage.
Let those who are in favour with their stars
Make out that life has left them free of mortal scars.
My glass shall not persuade me I am old,
Until this heart of mine is dead and cold.

Dear Shakespeare, thank you for each opening line.
The other silly bits , I fear, are mine.
*

------------------------------------------------------------------

PS


It's our son, Greg's, birthday today.


I wanted another daughter,
But I'm not complaining now.
Ever since you showed up
I've been saying 'Wow!'
You invade our refrigerator
For something nice to chew!
But I forgive you, Gregory!
Happy Birthday to You!
*

4 comments:

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

What a fun post! I enjoyed it all, especially your Hues!

Kay L. Davies said...

I loved the surprise ending to the colour drill, Brenda, and your Shakespeare is worthy of the Bard himself. I hope your handsome son did, indeed, have a happy birthday.
It is Canada's birthday today, too, and my country is 145 years old.
K

Margaret Gosden said...

PS What a great portrait!

Maude Lynn said...

What a delightful post for the day!