Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pet Peeve



IMAGINARY GARDEN
http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com.au/
asks for a Pet Peeve

PET PEEVE

My pet peeve is trivial,
Hardly a peeve at all,
And yet it's a little something
That drives me up the wall.
If ever there's a mutual accident,
Of a truly petty kind,
I always say 'I'm sorry'
It's automatic, I find.
Little side-steps are what I mean,
Maybe a passing nudge.
I always say 'I'm sorry'
But some people bear a grudge.
Although the 'accident's' mutual,
They glower and look ferocious
And I find this behaviour
Off-putting and atrocious.
My smile just freezes on my face
And I wish my words unsaid,
I wish I'd done the glowering bit
And not apologised instead.
You'll probably think 'She's ungainly'
 Or else 'She's accident prone'.
I'm not. Such things are normal;
I know I'm not alone.
But next time my shopping trolley
Nudges up to another trolley
I won't just smile placatingly
And set about being jolly.
I'll glower at my 'opponent'
Yes, I may even scowl;
I'll wither him with a torrid glance
Till he throws in the towel.
Enough of being pleasant!
Enough of being sweet!
You should thank your lucky stars
That we're not likely to meet!
*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARTIANS!

So this is what a Martian looks like!
A creature from Outer Space!
It really is peculiar
With that shiny pinkish face!
The poor old thing is bald too,
Apart from a little fluff!
It's claws look very feeble;
 They're just not sharp enough!
We share one little feature, though;
Both of us have eyes.
We're looking at each other
With them widened in surprise.
*
So this is what a Martian looks like!
A creature from Outer Space!
It never gets up off the ground;
 It just slinks about the place.
It's face is very hairy;
It makes a rumbling sound.
It's nose is very pointy,
Not, as it should be, round.
We share one little feature, though;
Both of us have eyes.
We're looking at each other
With them widened in surprise.

*

14 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Yes! People shopping is a hotbed for pet peeves! I adore the photo of the baby and cat - and the adorable poem you wrote from their different perspectives.

Kay L. Davies said...

Tee hee. I loved both of these, Brenda. Conspicuous as I may have been in my absence, I must say "I'm sorry" for not commenting more, but when someone else and I mutually bump one another's shopping cart, I just say a jaunty "Scuse me" and carry on.
I love the photo of the two Martians, each cuter than the other, and each with wondering eyes!
Did you notice I mentioned your name in a recent Real Toads post, because I snaffled a photo off your blog? It was for the "surrealist" poetry prompt. Hope you don't mind.
Luv, K

Laurie Kolp said...

I used to automatically apologize, too... now I try to just be quiet when it's not my fault.

The second one is precious... picture and poem. I love that you have it from both points of view.

Unknown said...

Shopping encounters of the scary or rude kind! Your poem captures the carts so well .

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

Said with humor! Lovely write about such an awful behavior--brava!

Mary said...

I know what you mean about being the first to say "I'm sorry." Usually here I run into (not literally - LOL) people who say they're sorry at the same time I do if there is a shopping cart issue. But I have encountered the other too, and it IS irritating indeed! I enjoyed your poem.

Unknown said...

I am really amused by the pet peeves of fellow writers. You did a nice job of fitting yours to form!

Hannah said...

I totally know what you're talking about...I've bumped into that kind of folk too and when you smile and apologize and they grouchy be...oh, yes...that begins to be maddening! Well written!!

Helen said...

Shopping carts ~ a pox on mankind!!

Susan said...

"My smile just freezes on my face
And I wish my words unsaid,
I wish I'd done the glowering bit
And not apologised instead."

I didn't even believe that you'd want to be a meanie when I got to the end of your poem. Believe me, your smile does much more for your karma. Do to shine, not to get a shine back . . . it hurts less in the belly later!

Sorry if that sounds lecture-full when this poem was right on and funny. As is the kitten pondering the baby. Grins all around.

Maude Lynn said...

I know just what you mean about apologizing!

Susie Clevenger said...

Shopping carts...I know what you mean. And the simple accident of bumping into someone...the glares, the huffs...lol Love your second poem and different perspectives and the photo was adorable.

Ella said...

Oh, yes, so well said! I love both poems! And what a wonderful photo of the baby n' cat, so cute! :D

Pet Shops Melbourne said...

That cat is big, almost same as the baby.