Thursday, October 18, 2012

Night Terror



THREE WORD WEDNESDAY
chose the words in blue


NIGHT TERROR



The night is dark and starless

My mind is calm and free.
I'm sleeping like a baby
Black velvet surrounding me.
Steady is my breathing,
Morning is far away;
I shall sleep on undisturbed
Until the coming day.
*
RATTLE!
Something wakes me;
I'm sitting bolt upright!
I must push away black velvet.
I fumble for a light.
Somebody's in the kitchen!
Surely I hear a sound.
The night, once soft and friendly,
Is threatening, all around.
*
THERE!
That was a rustle!
Someone is on the stair!
I know that I should go and look
And yet I do not dare!
I'll pull the covers round me
And lie completely still.
My feet and hands are icy cold.
I feel a ghostly chill.........
*
Sunlight! On my pillow.
It's morning! And I'm awake.
Not only awake but living!
Well, for goodness sake!
*
----------------------------------------
Alton Castle, Staffordshire

THE RED ROAD

If this looks like Fairyland......
I really think it was.
And it was a special Fairyland
For one young girl because
This was the view from my bedroom
When I awoke each day;
Rather like the  setting 
For some romantic play.
The Red Road ran by the Castle,
All overhung with trees,
A sort of secret passageway
To girlish fantasies.
I often walked that Road alone
Thinking foolish thoughts,
While other girls did healthy things
On municipal tennis-courts!
And never once did I think to ask
Why the Road was christened 'Red';
Much more romantic thoughts than that
Were circling in my head!
I saw an advertisement* today
Which caused my dream's destruction;
'New houses on the Red Road
At present under construction'!
They may be desirable residences
Built to top specifications,
And I'm sure Town Planners are noble men
With some excellent motivations.
But I feel sad to think it's gone,
The Red Road I once knew.
Oh well, that's progress, I suppose,
And there's nothing I can do.
*
I Googled the Red Road and building adverts came up!

No comments: