Thursday, October 11, 2012

Unusual

JENNY MATLOCK
http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com.au/
letter 'U'

UNUSUAL

Usual things are friendly
So they don't seem a threat.
Unusual things give us a shock
And make us jump and sweat.
Loud bangs in the middle of the night
Cause us to wake-up in a fright!
*
--------------------------------------------------------


 AT ODDS WITH THE DAY

Oh fiend! You nestle in my brain,
With thoughts of uselessness and pain;
With scenes of sadness and distress
And every foul unhappiness.
No, not because it's Halloween
And ghosts and ghouls are on the scene,
But because my silly human mind,
Likes to leave pleasant things behind
And concentrate on all things foul;
The curt remark, the telling scowl,
The what has been, the what might be,
The dreadful possibility,
The illness that may yet appear,
The shock, the ugliness the fear.
The items on the morning news,
Men that murder, rape, abuse.
Wars and pestilence and death;
How I'll take my final breath.........
*
The morning sun is in the sky
I should feel lively, bright and spry.
By now I think you may have guessed
That I have woken up depressed!
*

11 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Interesting take on usual and unusual here. I think usual is boring and unusual is exciting. :)

You had quite the night - no wonder you woke up feeling depressed!

Along These Lines ... said...

Love Leunig.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Cute!! I hate those loud bangs in the middle of the night!!!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Lady, you're so clever with your words which makes me smile. Those bangs big or small always make me jump from my sleep. I think this is nature's way of giving my heart a little workout in the middle of the night. lol

My Alphabe-Thursday 'U' post is entitled Our Universe

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Uncommonly good poetry!

VBR said...

always, i enjoy my visits to read your latest poetry. thanks for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Nice rhymes..... Good poetry!!!

ImagesByCW | OceanDreamIllustration said...

Not unusual to find a good post with rhymes and poetry here - thank you!

Cheryl D. said...

I liked the first poem. It reminded me of a haunted house! I use to have loud bangs in my house in the middle of the night and other times. Then they just stopped.

I guess the ghosts moved on! LOL

anitamombanita said...

Loved the first poem. It just made me smile!

Jenny said...

I laughed.

I cried.

Okay.

I didn't cry, but the depression poem really hit home for me.

Sometimes I just crave 'usual'. But I guess it's all relative.

Thanks for a unique and wonderful link for the letter "U".

A+