Sunday, April 24, 2011

So There!



GRANDMA'S GOULASH
suggests brevity!

SO THERE!

They say cows know when it's going to rain!
It's said we lie in the grass,
So that we have a dry spot to sleep
When the rain should decide to pass.
Well, I'm a cow whose name is Mary.
And, guess what! I'm going to be contrary!
*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------


WASH-BOARD

We have a small museum in the centre of our town
And it's merely someone's house that's been preserved.
The artifacts inside it are all normal household things
Given the rapt attention that's deserved.
They date from the nineteen-fifties, when people washed by hand,
And did many other chores the same way too,
And here we see the Curator telling my grandson, Blake,
What work the wash-boards were supposed to do.
It's a picture of no consequence, and yet I think it's sweet;
Blake's rapt attention lighting-up the scene.
I wonder if he remembers that day so long ago
Every time his clothes get tossed in the machine!
*

11 comments:

Sonia said...

LOL That's funny.

SparkleFarkel said...

Gotta love that MooMary--come rain or come shine!

(P.S. How fun this has been!)

Happy Easter Bunny!
SF~~~~~*

Susan Fobes said...

I'm glad you did a little poetry today-I just couldn't get anything out. (The cow kept staring at me!! LOL!)

Calico Crazy said...

I love contrary Mary, it's always fun to go against the grain. My grandmother had one on her kitchen wall and told stories about her mother doing laundry with one. ~ Calico Contemplations

SJerZGirl said...

Apparently, I am much wordier than the rest,
But I think I do like yours the best!

There's something to be said for being contrary!!

Stopping by from the A-Z Challenge to visit. You can find me at:
The Frustrated Foodie

Anyes said...

Nice and cute little poem :-)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Pleasant poem. Contrary Mary has a mind of her own!

John (@bookdreamer) said...

Oh Mary so lary

Pat said...

I love the rhyme and the allusion to "Mary Mary Quite Contrary!"

Grandma's Goulash said...

I love a rebel. One of my mf's had a contrary cow as well, though not a happy ending.

MY SY: Double Your Bovines

steveroni said...

Brevity? OK! "Quite" (contrary)...

signed: A wet bull!