Monday, April 25, 2011

The Kaleidoscope


MAGPIE TALES
chose the illustration.

GRANDMA'S GOULASH
http://grandmas-goulash.info/2011/04/2011-retreat-17/

THE KALEIDOSCOPE

There was a time
When I looked at life
Through my kaleidoscope.
Everything was neatly segmented.
The blues revolved around the edges,
The greens drew neat triangles,
The pinks and reds merged
Symmetrically.
Make a turn
And everything fell into place
Predictably.
I knew where I was going.
I knew it was all up to me;
I was in charge.
I would decide what, when, where.
It would all work out.
Those with messy lives
Had only themselves to blame.
And then you left me.
And my kaleidoscope
Broke.
The beads are there
But the patterns are misbehaving.
And a broken kaleidoscope
Can never be fixed.
*

-------------------------------------------------
                                      Brenda Bryant

BASKING BEAUTIES!

Theirs' for the asking;
A life full of basking,
Of rolling and twisting and diving.
The African coast
Is the place they like most.
And just look for yourself! They are thriving.
*
The water is clear
And they swim without fear;
Bobbing up to see who is arriving.
I suddenly feel
I could live like a seal!
Why on earth do we waste our lives striving?
*

19 comments:

Friko said...

it can never be fixed.

true, but there are others.

Isabel Doyle said...

I like your poem very much - the serenity of order, the misery of life ...

Maude Lynn said...

Outstanding Magpie! Love your take on the picture.

Reflections said...

Love both of these... so true how things fall into place, then our world can be turned upside when we lose a loved one.

And I adore the seals. For life to be so simple and joyful as theirs.

Kristen Haskell said...

Life is ever changing and it is true that things will never fully be the same but different is sometimes a blessing. Lovely Poem

DebbyMc said...

The line that grabbed me: The beads are there But the patterns are misbehaving. Poignant piece.

The Blog of Bee said...

Order in life and one moment can change everything. Beautifully composed.

Anonymous said...

"Basking Beauties" perfectly captures the emotions I feel when I see something like this...river otters have the same effect. Vb

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Both were excellent. Thanks!

Lyn said...

I think I'd take the opportunity to be a basking seal..but alas I too am trying to fix what's broken..Brilliant insight!!

Helen said...

I enjoyed your Magpie ... it seems to me I have lived life in reverse .. more segmented, organized, focused as I grow older. Could have used a bit of that in my youth!

Anonymous said...

Wise work. I like is very much.

Steve Isaak said...

Life-smart, solid kaleidoscope poem.

Unknown said...

can a kaleidoscope ever be broken?
it's just a new way of seeing things :)

nothing is as constant as change

Catalyst said...

A great couple of poems!

earlybird said...

These are both a delight. I like the way you've used the patterns in the kaleidoscope. Excellent analogy. And I'm happy the seals are thriving!

Kathe W. said...

I enjoyed both your poems! Especially about the frisky thriving seals!

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, so beautifully true. Some breaks just don't heal.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

profound magpie.
life could be that simple if one choose to.