Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Nesh?


I was from the South and I didn't know the word.
'Nesh' was a part of language that I had never heard!
It was a sort of insult but a comment more or less.
What did they mean when they said it? I could only guess.
Yet, after a while, I used it, and I understood it too,
And I knew that there were times when only 'nesh' would do!
For this was wartime Staffordshire! I was an evacuee
And the dialect of Staffordshire was difficult for me.
The word means 'feeling the cold a lot'; feeling each chilly breeze;
When others feel quite comfortable, if you're 'nesh' you feel you'll freeze.
But it can mean 'namby-pamby' if it's said a certain way;
'Don't be so nesh!' is something that somebody might say.
'Nesch' in Dutch means foolish and also damp as well,
So it seems to be the same word, only not the same to spell!
It's a very useful word to have in one's vocabulary!
Though it's many long years since anyone has said the word 'nesh' to me!
*
-------------------------------------------------------


SHOW-OFF!

What constitutes a show-off? I should know, for I am one.
Why do I find centre-stage the most enormous fun?
I'd like to be a modest sort of person, yes I would.
To be valued for my modesty would be, I'm certain, good.
But every time an audience is waiting for a joke
I get all sort of hyped-up, not at all like normal folk!
The adrenalyn starts pumping and I go right overboard,
Sometimes (this has happened) I may fall on my own sword!
Then I start getting silly and everybody groans!
Thankfully, up to this date, they haven't pelted stones!
When I meet another show-off I find I'm not attracted,
I find myself embarrassed by the silly way they've acted.
I there and then make up my mind to be much more controlled
No longer brash and silly, egotistical and bold.
But the urge to have an audience just will not be gainsaid
Although , these days, I draw the line at standing on my head!
In this shot I'm in the shadows trying hard to disappear.
Does that mean I grow more modest?
I'm sorry folks!
No fear!

------------------------------------------

The British Poetry Competition is now open.


For details visit

http://poetrysociety.org.uk/content/competitions/npc/

4 comments:

JL Dodge said...

Never heard the word Nesh...but like both of the poems !
JL&B

Roger Owen Green said...

new word to me.
but you are hardly foolish!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Leslie: said...

I'd never heard the word NESH before but I'll keep an eye and ear out for it as I read a lot of historical novels set in Britain.

Leslie
abcw team

Kay L. Davies said...

Nesh, that's me. I'm always cold when everyone else is just comfortable. On the other hand, I don't like hot weather or hot rooms. I wonder if there's a word for that.
My husband and my brother are the kind who love an audience. I love one for my writing, but never when I'm talking. Brrr. The thought makes me nesh.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel