Monday, August 6, 2012

Breasting the Waves

                                      Sarah Gosden-Cardello

MELLOW YELLOW MONDAY

BREASTING THE WAVES

See these brave and balanced fellows
Decked out in their brilliant yellows,
Breasting the waves with youthful vigour,
And willing the waves to grow ever bigger.
The poise, the artistry, the defiance,
With no thought of art or science.
They are as one with wind and weather,
Happy to taste the sea together.
*
--------------------------------------------------------------


A BASKET CASE!

I was visiting a monastery up on a mountain top
With a sheer cliff face below it and a truly awesome drop
The way up was by basket........ the drop was an awful sight
And only a rope was holding us as we swayed at that great height!
I became terribly nervous as the basket turned and swayed;
It would be putting it mildly to say I was afraid!
A monk was traveling with me so, seeing how we were placed,
I said to him 'How often is the monastery rope replaced?'
When he gave me his reply I really got the shakes!
'We replace it very often......
Every time it breaks!'
*

2 comments:

Margaret Gosden said...

That's grandson Dean (8) - isn't a wonderful photo!

Margaret Gosden said...

PS Your poem so aptly describes what they must feel like when they get a good one and can handle it!