Monday, August 20, 2012

Addition

Adolphe Valette

ADDITION

Papa went down to the river before it was really light.
His paintings are atmospheric and he likes to get them right.
He stood beneath the bridge and watched the mist come swirling in,
And, when things were ideal, he decided to begin.
He got the steam, the mist, the boat and even the reflection
Absolutely perfectly, and needing no correction.
He staggered home for breakfast before the paint was dry.
But he wasn't entirely satisfied and he kept wondering why.
'I think it's the perspective' I said, to his surprise;
'Without a human figure it's hard to gauge the size.
Since it is a monochrome, it's sort of vague' I said,
Expecting (for I'm used to it) a clout around the head!
Instead, Papa embraced me! 'My son! I'm in your debt!
You're absolutely right, my boy! You'll be an artist yet!
I'll let you paint a figure in the corner! Make it me!
Make me sort of gazing in a river reverie!'
*
I quickly painted my Papa and soon the work was done,
But I notice he hasn't signed it
'Adolphe Valette and Son'!
*
--------------------------------------------------------------------


THE SEARCH FOR ME

I'd lie in bed, when I was small, searching my skull for ME.
My head felt like an empty space! Wherever could ME be?
Then, later, when I realised grey matter was 'up there',
I still couldn't see where ME was; it seemed the cupboard was bare!
And now, it seems, it's been verified, there is no ME to find;
Each one of us is the sum of experiences of every different kind.
We've built up memories since birth; we've joined them one to one;
Synapses and neurones make sure the job is done.
As babies we were pages that were completely blank,
And lots of events and imaginings are what we have to thank
For the overwhelming sense of ME,  that we carry everywhere!
We talk to ourselves and yet we talk to someone who's not there!
There is no ME that's nestling in a space between our ears;
When the light goes out the MEness.......completely disappears!
*


10 comments:

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Wonderful verse, as always!

Jinksy said...

Hehehe! Villette & Son...I like it!

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking time to leave a sweet comment!
~Pernilla

Trellissimo said...

Foggy inside heads are the pits... :)

Berowne said...

Always a fine post from Rinkly R.

Helen said...

Winners ~~ both poems!

Kathe W. said...

Enjoyable read - thanks!

Tess Kincaid said...

Clever Magpie...I enjoyed it...

Unknown said...

I love the journey of self discovery you have taken on here. Very insightful and enlightening. I think the rhyme scheme made your brilliance shine. Thanks for sharing, Rinkly. =D

21 Wits said...

Wonderful poem, and I feel less foggy having stopped by... and I so enjoyed the second...and Meness