Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bry Antics





BRY ANTICS
My Weekly Diary


Well, let's see how it evolves. A list of 'doings' would be deadly dull. However a long diatribe just to cleanse my soul might not be too appealing either. This week I'll try a 'day-by-day' technique.


On Sunday  I caught-up with chores. Nuff said!

On Monday Greg brought his little boys round for the morning. It's always lovely to see them. Greg is a teacher of children with Special needs but, until Max(2) goes to school he's going to work part-time. How lovely it is to see the young men 'mothering' and yet not losing any of their masculinity! In the afternoon we had Probus choir practice. It wasn't all that successful because Lois, the pianist, had workmen in fixing something, and we were all crammed around the piano. At least I was in an easy chair, so I felt quite relaxed.The Indian sub-continent is on our minds, partly because of the problems in Pakistan, and partly because Indian students in Melbourne have been attacked by 'yobbos'.

On Tuesday the news was dominated by the dreadful French air disaster! I've always felt unsafe flying over the ocean. However, I don't intend to return to England any more, so I wont be faced with it. I went to Malcolm's Probus meeting with him. The Speaker was the local manager for the Australian Broadcasting Company and he was very enlightening about all the new products that are coming on line. Newcastle is Australia's sixth largest city, but we get all the new stuff quite a while after the big five. Blogging gave me a boost today! The Speaker asked two questions which I was able to answer simply because I've learned so much through blogging! I looked very learned!

On Wednesday we were delighted to learn that we are the only developed country not in a recession!! I must say I haven't seen any signs of a Credit Crunch yet although we're constantly being told it's coming! Just as we're bombarded with Swine Flu advice, although we suspect that might be another damp squib. I hope so. I went to the Speakers committee meeting at the Newcastle Club. It's a real Gentlemens' club, with deep leather chairs and real coffee. But I'm finding once a week too much of a tie so I told the President that, after my stint as Secretary, which ends at the end of this month, I'll only be attending once a month. I love being the only woman on the Committee and the young men are all very sweet to me. But I need more blogging time! Geoff, who's a dear, walked back down the hill with me and we had a really great conversation. The upshot of it was that he's going to introduce me to his father, who is something big in the local euthanasia society. I've been wanting to join for some time.In the evening we had a rehearsal with the Orchestra in the Cathedral. Although I'm an agnostic (I heard it called a 'Possiblist' on the radio the other night and I like that) I find singing hymns in the Cathedral quite awe-inspiring.

On Thursday the Probus Choir sang at the Uniting Church in Charlestown. (And, yes, I AM an agnostic!) It was an awful concert! I made about twenty mistakes but so did everyone else, and poor Pam Hogg kept grimacing at us to get us to smile!! Lois brought her two year-old great-grandson with her and he was most distracting! Thursday is normally my Family day so we both went over to Rebecca's after lunch. We all find Max (2) enchanting. Today I asked Rebecca what she had brought Harry (the brother) for his birthday and Max actually said 'Tyranoraurus Rex'! It was garbled, of course, but quite understandable. He wouldn't say it again, though! We had a short time with Greg when he came to collect his two sons. We're so lucky to have our family living so close.

On Friday  I spent the whole morning learning words (for the melodrama) and alto parts for the Cathedral choir. I hate learning but it has to be done. I put things on tape and 'singalong' hoping sense goes in. In the afternoon we met for a 'Jewelled Jeopardy' rehearsal, in the Bingo room at the club. There were quite a few away, but Sandy came and she could prove to be an asset. I read Loretta's part as her new grandson (Xavier!) arrived today. After a drink and a chat at the bar, Pam and I went on to a Cathedral choir practice. Pews are very hard things!

On Saturday I was able to spend a lot of time with Rebecca and that's always a joy. We went to the Olive Tree Markets where we ambled around looking at all the craft work etc and eating Turkish food. The weather, which has been a little wintry of late, was glorious and it was all so colourful and friendly. When we got home she taught me a bit more about my mobile phone (!) and then I gave Blake his weekly Spelling Lesson. He's improving, I think. She had bought Banjo a little coat with a hood for the winter nights and we had fun trying-it on him. He wasn't impressed! We're quite agog about  the British parliamentary debacle!
Till next week.
Brenda

7 comments:

quilly said...

How nice to read about the person behind the rhymes. I already knew you were witty, intelligent, loving and kind. This just added a bit of dimension to those traits.

Melli said...

I'll tell you what! My Mother-in-law (whom I take care of) was born in 1931 and she would DIE trying to keep up with you! Goodness! I might die trying to keep up with you! You are one BUSY lady! That is so cool! Great for you and great for your family too! Mostly it pleases me that you are her age and you still have ALL of your mind - plus some, I think! And you're still learning! I can't say I "admire" it... because actually you're quite BLESSED! She is not so blessed... she has barely a thought left in her poor little head. I say her head is full of feathers!

Patty said...

Sounds to me like you've been one busy lady. Hope you have a nice relaxing evening and a restful day on Sunday.

Hey Harriet said...

Wow it has been quite a week! I enjoyed reading what you've been up to :)

Jo said...

What a treat to read about your week/life behind the rhyming scene. Yes, I agree with all the previous comments: you keep busy and you keep your mind/brain occupied with all sorts of different things(although most of these you write about in rhyme) AND you care about relationships; that, for me, counts the most. No use being this pious person who works hard at good deeds, church tasks, whatever and yet you don't have time for people. It shines through how much you enjoy your family and friends and of course how they enjoy being around such an intelligent, kind and yet, witty person. Thanks for sharing.

Margaret Gosden said...

You are a genius at what you do and I will be looking for clues on how you can be so productive and, at the same time, keep as busy as you are with your social life and your children and grandchildren and, of course, your husband!

Kat said...

reading that - you've made me feel like lazy bones..!!!! Amazing and feeling inspired.