Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Volunteer Voices


SUNDAY SCRIBBLINGS
http://sundayscribblings.blogspot.com/2010/02/202-ethics-ethical.html
'Ethics'

I ponder on the ethics of volunteering.

VOLUNTEER VOICES!

Is this Volunteering, doing lots of good?
Would members of the audience leave if they only could?
My Probus Choir has lots of fun singing around the place,
And all our elderly listeners receive us with good grace.
I feel we look quite pleasant, and we sing in tune (I think),
But is that old chap in the corner muttering 'They stink!'
Are we doing it for our good; are we doing it for theirs?
Would they prefer to be left alone in their easy chairs?
I know I'd hate to be dragged along, if I were at their stage,
To watch a lot of 'giggling girls' performing on a stage!
If I had to sit through 'Margie' or 'Two Little Girls in Blue'
I'd leap up with my walker and who knows what I'd do!
I only know they thank us, and they always ask us back;
We get a cup of coffee and a tasty little snack.
And I do know we enjoy it; we have a lot of fun,
So maybe we don't do much harm when all is said and done.

10 comments:

kayleen said...

Giggle. I sat through some of the entertainment when my Mother lived in an independent living facility. Some of it was pretty good, some so-so and some of it was...well you know...

You are more than welcome to do a poem about the Smoke Signal Sculpture. Link to that post is hereI would love to know when you do the poem, so I can read it.

kayleen of Lincoln Daily Photo and Nebraska Birding

Unknown said...

People drive themselves crazy looking for perfection. Fun is a better elixir than any perfect brew.

Wayne Pitchko said...

i like this very much..keep the writing up

LA Nickers said...

This is adorable.

Keep on singing!

;-)

Winifred said...

I bet they do enjoy it.

They are doing research into how music can reach people with Alzheimers. For some reason it reaches part of the memory other things can't. Sounds like a beer advert of long ago!

If I'm ever in a home I want disco music!

Kat said...

So nice of your Probus Choir.
And great to see you standing in the centre stage and singing with the team.

Am sure everyone would've enjoyed.

Nita Jo said...

I loved this one! I've spent a lot of time with my Grandma, first at the assisted living and now in the memory care unit. The one thing most of the residents have in common... they still respond to music. I think it's good for the singers and the listeners!

keiths ramblings said...

How delightful and what fun!

madeline d. murray said...

The first couplet of this poem made grin, and I smiled through the whole poem. I'd bet the choir's audience enjoys its offerings, too. Great post. Thank you!

Americanising Desi said...

i think i m one of those crazy people who look for perfection all the time :(

Ha Ethical?