Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Off the Rails


TOTALLY OPTIONAL PROMPTS
suggests a reaction to a quote. Here's mine from Rudyard Kipling.
Personal nostalgia to the fore today. The photograph depicts the closure of a country rail-link. I caught the train every day from Alton to Uttoxeter  in the U.K. as a school-girl. When last I visited the site I found the rail-line had been transformed into a wide green passage-way between overhanging trees. It was beautiful, but it wasn't 'my memory'.
The photo was taken on the day of the closure (I think.)

OFF THE RAILS.

THEY shut the road through the woods
Seventy years ago.
Weather and rain have undone it again,
And now you would never know
There was once a road through the woods
Before they planted the trees.
Rudyard Kipling.

They shut the rail-link to town,
When the great trucks came to the fore.
Now we define
A half-hidden line,
Where bright rails ran before.
Yet Nature is kind and generous;
A green path runs between
Over-arching branches
To mark where the trains have been.
But, if I were Rudyard Kipling,
I would very likely say
That the mournful sound of a dying train
Is heard to this very day.
                                                                  Brenda Bryant (me)


9 comments:

California Girl said...

that is poignant and well done.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shot of the train. One of these days I'll actually ride on one.

Beth Camp said...

Really fine integrating of Kipling´s poem with your own take. I especially liked how you wove in the reference to Kipling in your version as well as the sense of healing that comes from changed nature, changed history. I´m working on a similar poem prompt with a poem by Neruda but haven´t posted it yet. Maybe now . . .

Unknown said...

Oh, I love your little PS at the end of Rudyard's poem. So delightful! Like you always are!

Rajesh said...

Very beautiful picture.

antigoni said...

Memories are our history on earth.
They are precious and when someone ruin these memories is like we lost something of our lives.
This train still live in your memories and it will never die.

photowannabe said...

perfect choice for the letter N. Nostalgia very original.

Winifred said...

That was a lovely post. I loved steam trains. It is sad that they closed all those railway lines. Bet they wish they hadn't now with all the traffic on our roads.

Oh to have the gift of hindsight!

Kat said...

I too loved the chuk chuk trains, however dirty and clumsy they were..!!! Nice poem down the memory lane.