Sunday, April 5, 2009

Celebration!



SUNDAY SCRIBBLINGS suggests CELEBRATION!

In my melodrama 'The Scarlet Scarab' the two women who have been held in thrall by unsatisfactory men, suddenly discover that they can live quite happily without them! This is their song of exultation.

CELEBRATION!


To the melody 'Who's sorry now?'

Who would have guessed
 We'd come off best?
 Who'd have imagined that we'd pass the test?
 We were so pure, 
So immature,
 But times are changing, for sure.
 We'll spread our wings;
 See other things
 And other men, I should hope! 
Now you and I
 Don't sit and cry. 
Goodbye to being a dope!

Once we were dills,
 Dressed up in frills.
 Thought we depended on Arthurs and Bills. 
We were so coy, 
Born to enjoy 
Life in the shade of a boy! 
We've  realised 
Freedom is prized. 
We know we're able to cope.
 Now we are mates,
 Let's go on dates! 
Goodbye to being a dope!

We toed the line,
 Thought that was fine; 
Thought that romance was one huge Valentine.
 Aren't we a pair 
Now we're aware
 Life's for the living, out there!
 Now we must fly!
 Tickets to buy!
 We have such limitless scope!
 Throw out the past!
 This die is cast! 
Goodbye to being a dope!

14 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Ah, 'tis often how it is.

Barb said...

Hehee.. I know the song so I was able to fit the words right in! I can't find you Heads Or Tails post, but welcome back. :)

Patty said...

My Mother, myself and a couple of our daughters were talking about living without a husband, if he passes on.

My Mother said, she missed Dad at first, but she finds she can finally do as she pleases and go where she wants without having to ask his permission.

Thank goodness I never had to ask my husband's permission, but there were times when he knew I was going to go visiting a relative or meet with some friends and he would act like he was pouting. He claims he wasn't but I say he was.

Anyway my Mother and I both came to the conclusion we don't need a man to go to a movie, or eat out, if we can't find a woman friend, we can go alone. But I know some women that think they aren't complete unless they are attached to a man's arm. Sad in a way, they are missing out on a lot of fun going with their friends or daughters.

linda may said...

This is topical for me at the moment but I am just not ready for it yet.

Lucy said...

this week I just heard of two... TWO close relatives getting a divorce! great poem rink

Hey Harriet said...

Hi there. I just clicked on your link that you entered in the Shadow Shot Sunday Mr Linky but I can't find your shadow shot...

I think this happened another time also.

Oh well, have a great weekend :)

TJ said...

Being a dope is only the first step...the second step takes much more thought. Carefully ...walk the paths and breathe deep.
Time brings us to many places...not all are good and some not so bad.
TJ

Jay said...

Love it! I can't remember the complete tune, but I enjoyed it anyway. It stands alone. :)

GreenishLady said...

That was great fun. I had to turn off the Galaxy Song in order to sing along. Thanks. Yes, "Life's for the living, out there!"

latree said...

this one strengthened me in a unique way, thanks :)

Tumblewords: said...

Indeed, a cause for celebration ~ that's what life's about!

keiths ramblings said...

What a wonderful take on celebrate! I had a good 'ole sing-song too.

Jennifer Hicks said...

FREEDOM! I was celebrating right along with those 2....

Kat said...

Amazed at the celebrations comments received.

I couldn't control my laughter reading Patty's comment ...Thank goodness I never had to ask my husband's permission, but there were times when he knew I was going to go visiting a relative or meet with some friends and he would act like he was pouting. He claims he wasn't but I say he was.