Friday, April 24, 2009

The Nuclear Family

Written for
EASYSTREET PROMPTS.




THE NUCLEAR FAMILY!

All right! I'm an old granny and I'm probably naive,
But I have to speak out forthrightly and say what I believe.
I don't refer to Mum and Dad, two kids and pussy-cat.
No, the Family I speak of is much more grim than that!
I speak of the 'Nuclear Family' as all those great World Powers
That blithely say to others 'Hands off! The bomb is ours!'
Iran and North Korea may be an awful worry
But they won't discard their nuclear plans, not in any hurry.
But, dare I say it? Silly me! Couldn't the USA
Decide to get rid of all its bombs, yes, throw them all away?
(Well, maybe keep just one in case the others played unfair!)
Surely they cannot need the awful pile that they have there!
Then others with their stock-piles would want to play the game!
And surely those Rogue Nations would want to do the same!
The Bomb has loomed for my whole life (and that is pretty long!)
Will someone please explain to me why this idea is wrong!

HOORAY!
They listened to me!
From the BBC April 24th!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8015897.stm

Quotes:
US and Russian negotiators have begun to work on a new treaty aimed at reducing the number of nuclear weapons.
"We are sure that this treaty could promote confidence and predictability in the world."
The US in particular believes it will give them greater moral and political force against countries with nuclear ambitions such as Iran and North Korea, our correspondent adds.




7 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

Because others don't play fair!

Gill - That British Woman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeniseinVA said...

It all sounds so simple but there will always be someone out there trying to wipe the other off the face of the earth. If we got rid of all those awful weapons we wouldn't last very long. That's the sad truth and that's the nature of things. In a peaceful world there would be no weapons but I think we've got a long way to go before we get to that stage. Wouldn't it be lovely if we all just got along? Good post and food for thought.

Dakota Bear said...

Like you they have been hanging over our lives for a long time. It would be nice if they could all be destroyed, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

Denise stole my thunder! But that's okay. No worries! See how easy that is? As long as there is something that some-one else has, that some-one wants, we'll have this struggle. Reminds me of Truman's decision: one part says he was justified in ordering the drop; but the other side is still taking in the cost of that decision.

If you have your health, a roof over your head and food on your table, what more do you really need?

Margaret Gosden said...

I remember a movie, but not the name, when a number of stars of the late 1940s, like Gregory Peck, Fred Astaire, Ava Gardener, and a few others, played out the last hours of their lives - may be someone should bring that out again - it was devastating, moving, an effective example of what could happen. Oh, someone, can you please name the movie?!!

Kat said...

Obama is a nice person.
He listens to the Voice-of-Australia :))))