Sunday, April 19, 2009

Parabola


                                                 Margaret Gosden

My artist friend in New York has just published this work. It is my favourite. I couldn't resist a poem, and she must forgive me if my 'take' on the work is faulty.

I had to look-up the meaning of the word 'Parabola' I'm afraid and I print details at the end of this blog, even though my poem doesn't reflect the title!

Margaret's work can be found at

PARABOLA

Our finger-print covers the earth.
See the loops and whirls
Clearly on the descending finger.
The Con-descending finger!
For do we not consider ourselves
The greatest creation?
*
Yet the shape of the print is filmy,
Gauze-like,
Without substance,
Soon to be blown away.
*
 Through it's finger-like window
We can see what will remain.
*
The wine-dark sea.
The wave-shaped sand.
The grainy wood.
The streaming clouds.
The mysterious ether.
They will all remain
When the finger-print has gone.
*
A dark sun is setting.
A pale moon is weeping.
*
How long?
*


PARABOLA,  or 'birth of a curve',  so called because it is the plane section of an elliptic paraboloid.




P.S
Sylvia from Over the Hill published this later in the week. I was amazed at the similarity to Margaret's vision!





5 comments:

Sherri B. said...

Oh, this was beautiful...I loved it! Such imagery...

Margaret Gosden said...

What a beautiful comment in rime - I love it! And how did you manage to attach the most abstract diagram I have ever seen of the Parabola! Thank you, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photo and words.

Paz

Nana said...

I love the illustration. Cute poem :) You've added a new word to my vocabulary.

Kat said...

Margaret's work does look like a finger-print in the sands of time.
So well captured as usual in rhyme..!!!