Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dahlia Regalia



DAHLIA REGALIA!

The time of the dahlias is here!
It's the winding-down time of the year.
So perfect in their symmetry;
A flower of such nobility!
Their velvet beauty is so great
Their heads are bowing with the weight.
And every year when dahlia's bloom
I'm back within my mother's room.
She had a bowl made out of brass
That shone just like a looking-glass.
Like earrings on a gypsy bride
The handles hung at either side;
Copper with the brass was crafted.
And all the while the sunshine shafted,
Down upon the table shining,
Painting pictures as we were dining.
The polished table picked-up reflections
Enhancing them in all directions.
Our home was neither rich nor grand;
Opulence, you understand,
Was never part of daily life;
My mother was just your average wife.
But when the dahlia season came
Nothing seemed to look the same.
The little room with its central bowl
Took on a sort of regal role.
Surely we were upper class.
With dahlias in a bowl of brass!
*

24 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

great photo of those dahlias I love that flower.........

Gill in Canada

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful flowers! Thank you very much for sharing them.

sunnymama said...

Such pretty flowers!

Kat said...

Such a pretty rhyme,
that matches the Dahlia
and my mind's eye actually sees
the little room as a Royal room..!!

Teresa said...

Such a great nostalgic poem. Very lovely.

Vicki/Jake said...

OH, I'm so ready to see flowers! These are beauties:)

NanE said...

Gorgeous bowl and flowers! tfs, Nan

Terra said...

Oh, Super poem. I could see the room.

Susan Anderson said...

Great images!

=)

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your poem. There is something about flowers that makes any home look rich!ma

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers,and such lovely words.
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

Judie said...

Many years ago I used to grow dahlias. They are such elegant flowers, don't you think?

Jenny said...

The dahlias are blooming in my garden now and I always give a shriek of joy when a new one opens!

Each time I do, my husband looks startled and then says, 'Oh...a dahlia, right?'

I've never tried putting them in a bowl, but I'm going to try that!

Thanks for a delightful stop for Alphabe-Thursday!

A+

Cheryl D. said...

Great poem about Dahlias!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Beautiful words and beautiful flowers!

Barbara F. said...

I love dahlias! I need to plant some in the spring. I love that poem. Visiting from Alphabe-Thursday. xo

21 Wits said...

I think I smell them in the air...what a delightful poem thanks so much!

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm sure you did feel quite upper class with your dahlias floating in brass!

Vicki/Jake said...

DELIGHTFUL!!

anitamombanita said...

Wonderful! They are regal looking, aren't they!? ;)

JANU said...

Captured the beauty of the flowers so well, also the memories.

Unknown said...

This is such fun! My uncle grows them and they are lovely!

Susan Anderson said...

I do love dahlias, and you have done them justice!

=)

My post today: Divine Nature

Jenny said...

Dahlias are truly one of my favorite flowers!

You captured them perfectly in this delightful poem!

Thanks for the smile and for sharing your talents with us!

A+