Monday, July 20, 2009

A Slower Pace

                                                  Van Gogh

A SLOWER PACE.

Never come with me to a park.
Let me go there alone.
*
As soon as I enter the gates
The chatterbox that is me
Becomes someone else!
*
If you insist on accompanying me
I will leave you
To wander down the paths,
Gaze at the ducks,
Look up at the trees,
Stroke the petals.
*
As far as is possible
I will leave the crowds,
Exercising dogs,
Throwing balls,
Playing hide-and seek.
They may chirrup in the background;
The sound adds to
The glorious isolation.
But I will aim for paths less trodden.
*
A hush descends on my spirit
And I don't know why.
In the open country
I long to stride.
In a park
I dawdle,
Shuffle,
Stand still.
*
The man-made-ness of it all
Enchants me.
The mixture of fecundity and draughtmanship.
*
I do not long to escape humanity,
But to enjoy its artistry.
*
Alone.
*
Appreciation of a different kind here:

17 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Ah, yes, the strange tension of being alone and in community. You captured it so well.

Sherri B. said...

I completely understand this need to sometimes separate yourself and "stroke the petals". This was beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Maggie said...

One has to be alone from the world to be one with the nature in the park...where one is never really alone.

Tammie Lee said...

everyone can benefit from a place to wander at peace, alone.

gabrielle said...

In between worlds. A blessed hush in the midst of manic summertime.
Your words tell it so well.

Kat said...

To appreciate the shade one has to be in the scorching sun.

Probably the complexity of the humanity drives one to enjoy things in isolation..!!

Jae Rose said...

You have depicted a real mix of emotion about the difference between open-space and man-made space...very interesting...hope you find a quiet place in the park today..Jae :)

Kodjo Deynoo said...

Like the way you put it, in the park, it is just me me time...nice write

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

time to spend some time alone,
so that you sing better song..

lovely message.
beautiful entry.

Dee Martin said...

I would insist on going with you. I can be silent and wander too. We will wander and roam until the peace fills us :) Love this!

Roan said...

I do love to wander through beautiful surroundings alone. I don't have to make conversation, merely enjoy the serenity of nature. Perfection, as usual.

Lilibeth said...

Just the sort of slower pace I love.

TMTW said...

You are a kindred soul.

Wendy said...

I love the idea of finding "glorious isolation" in a place that is anything but isolated...dogs, dog owners, others strolling along, the one who wants to come along....and through it all, you fight for autonomy. Nice one.

Old Egg said...

You are so right. There are times you really need to be alone with nature.

Margaret said...

Enjoying manmade artistry. Perfect!

Nita Jo said...

Love this one! I can identify with wanting to be quiet and just enjoy it.