Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dream? Non!



CARRY ON TUESDAY
has given us the opening lines
of the poem 'Dreams' by Paul Laurence Dunbar.
They are written here in blue.


DREAM? NON!

Dream on! For dreams are sweet.....for those who dream.
And nightmares wake some folk to sob and scream.
But there are some, and I am one of those,
Whose nights are blank, just nothing-filled repose.
Think of black velvet, that is night for me,
Except I cannot feel or think or see.
I close my eyes, then open them. Night's gone!
And I have nothing to look back upon.
I have dreamed once or twice, that I admit.
I didn't like my dreams one little bit.
One left me with an awful sense of loss;
The other left me inexplicably cross!
Not only that but all the ensuing day
Was coloured by the dreaming, in a way.
The strange emotions seemed to hang around
Unsettling me, causing my heart to pound.
I'm  happy that I never dream, although
It means I miss good stories, that I know,
Judging by the dreams some friends repeat!
*
I sleep on! For black velvet nights are sweet
*
A very different night here:

6 comments:

Dr.John said...

I like it. I wish I had nights like that.

Bogey said...

When I am at home, I rarely remember any dreams I may have had throughout the night. But, when I go to the cottage for a vacation, after about 2-3 days of unwinding, my nights, or should I say early mornings, are filled with dreams. And I am not alone with this. A couple of friends of mine have had similar experiences. When I dream, that is when I know my brain is most relaxed.

I do wish you pleasant dreams though, if you could do so that is.

Kat said...

I think one must only have dreams as told by M.L. King Jr... " I have a dream..!!!"

beccagivens said...

Rarely do I remember dreams - I always awaken blank!! I have had nightmares, while awake, though!! :D

Meryl said...

I remember my dreams. Some absolutely absurd and others quite painful...

Steve Isaak said...

Solid, lively verses.