Sunday, August 21, 2011

Time to Say Goodbye


CARRY ON TUESDAY

Today's words are the title of an Italian song
'Time to say Goodbye'.

TIME TO SAY GOODBYE

All the while I see you,
Though you don't turn around,
'Goodbye' seems so impossible;
I'm on familiar ground.
I've seen you walk that path before,
I've seen your comforting shape;
But then you were leaving for a time,
Not making your escape.
*
All the while I see you,
Today's like yesterday;
You're sure to turn and smile at me;
And I know the words you'll say......
'I was only teasing, dear one!
Of course it's not the end!
You mean so very much to me,
You're my lover and my friend.'
*
All the while I see you
It's as though we're playing parts,
Pretending to be ex-lovers
Who're nursing broken hearts.
But soon you'll turn the corner;
Leaving not the slightest trace.
I'll no longer see you;
You will be an empty space.
*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


TOWARD THE HILLS

The light fades and the clouds are stark,
White against the dimming light.
Where will the road lead tomorrow?

*

3 comments:

vivinfrance said...

Achingly sad, But beautifully written.

gautami tripathy said...

Your poems touch me...

stalling

Mary said...

I hear you loud and clear. Empty space indeed! Sad, but real. Poem from 'the gut.'