Monday, August 1, 2011

The Assignation


POETRY TOW-TRUCK
suggests we write about
'The Moment Before'.

THE ASSIGNATION

How can I stand here, still and straight,
And see Madam Alberts write?
How can I calmy watch you leave
When I'm filled with such delight?
Oh Willem! I can see you now,
Walking away down the street!
Willem! Who's now my lover,
So smart, so dear, so sweet!
For months now you've been visiting,
You a humble lawyer's clerk.
Yet tonight we've an assignation,
In the alley, after dark!
How often I've let you in the door,
At my mistress's behest!
You were far above me,
A very formal guest.
Yet today, after the writs were signed,
And I showed you to the door,
You whispered, hastily, 'Sweet Klara!'
And more, oh so much more!
You told me that you'd loved me
For many and many a day
And I told you,Willem, I felt the same!
We had so much to say!
And yet we only had moments;
Our words were very few.
But we spoke enough for me to learn
That our love was strong and true.
*
'I like it when Willem comes to call'
Madam Alberts said, quite coy.
'I think he rather admires me,
Though he is such a boy.
Take this note to the Lawyers;
There's something more to be signed.
And Willem will have to call again
Very soon, you'll find!'
*
Let Madam Alberts make her plans!
Let her write and write and write!
He may visit her tomorrow,
But I'll be in his arms tonight!
*
---------------------------------------------------------------

Maxine says
"If you're not supposed to stick Q-tips in your ears what the hell are they for?"

Q. AND ANSWER!

Oh Maxine! How indelicate! You've really made me blush!
When it comes to topics such as these I think you ought to hush!
What goes on in the bathroom is always between four walls.
I don't want to be pictured standing in my 'smalls'!
Or even, heaven help us, in just my aged skin
Fiddling in my ears with Q-tips, twiddling them in!
Let's pretend they're made for babies, to clean their little noses!
They're certainly designed for that, or that's what one supposes!
So just picture a gurgling baby attractively in the nude!
Any other possibility is just too awfully rude!
*

1 comment:

barbara said...

Enjoyed the story. It flows neatly from the art.
Let's hope it's only Madame who is bound to be disappointed