Sunday, August 28, 2011

Taking the Plunge


GRANDMA'S GOULASH
http://grandmas-goulash.info
supplied the illustration


TAKING THE PLUNGE!

Nellie, that's her on the left, had been looking  for romance
And now she'd met someone on-line! I said 'Nellie! Take a chance!'
She said 'Oh dear! I feel so shy!' But what would be the harm?
So we choofed off to Brighton. I grabbed hold of her arm
And dragged her out along the pier. He was waiting there all right!
I could see from his expression they were in for a passionate night!
She'd bought a winceyette nighty to give her love a thrill!
I think it must have done the trick for she's in Brighton still!
*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


OH ME OF LITTLE FAITH.

I am living without faith. Does that sound depressing?
I don't believe in anything, that's what I'm confessing.
When, in my teens, I sat, one day, all dutiful, in church,
Faith flew out the window! But I'm not left in the lurch!
My problem with religious faith is that human beings preach it!
If God were utterly obvious no-one would need to teach it!
I made up my mind, in those early days, that I would pay no heed
To what came from a human source, whatever might be the creed.
I would just believe what I can hear and see and smell and touch!
And, honestly, I've got along just fine. Does that shock you too much?
For one thing, take Eternal Life! I think that's horrifying.
I'll have no expectations at the moment of my dying.
I will never be 'rewarded' so I'm not wracked by guilt.
I am very far from perfect but it's only 'milk that's spilt'.
But I worship LIFE for that's all there is! At least, that's my belief.
Religions seem to add to the toll of pain and woe and grief!
Take the state of the world right now! How much better it would be
If the world cut-out religion and just lived faithlessly.
*

8 comments:

SparkleFarkel said...

I think you're definitely on to something, here! The happily married lady, living across the street from me, met her husband online. No matter what the season, when she comes out on her stoop each morning to retrieve the newspaper, she is typically wearing a flannel nightgown! (Ahhh! *raises glass* Here's to wedded bliss!)

Kay L. Davies said...

I think you're right about online dating and never too late, and I'm glad someone hauled Nellie out that pier.

You're right about the things people have done in the name of religion. I cringe to think about what the people of the so-called "religious" right are trying to do to Canada these days. They want women barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen.
I think God wants us taking better care of the planet, not taking away women's rights, but someone voted for the prime minister (no cap P or M for him) and it sure wasn't me.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Sonia Lal said...

Like both poems. The first one is pretty cute and romantic and I can relate to the second.

Helen said...

First one made me laugh! How's the weather in Brighton!

Susan Fobes said...

Love your first poem, and the second made me think. If you look backwards in time, almost all wars were based on religion, so maybe you (and John Lennon) have a point.

Elaine said...

Lovely story about finding love online, and very cleverly done in rhyme. I like the phrase 'choofed off to Brighton' - haven't heard that verb before!

Grandma's Goulash said...

A fun succinct, what's life without taking a few risks.

Your second closely mirrors my own thoughts, I've just never written them as well.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

On-line romance! I know two couples who found each other that way. They've stayed together for several years now, so I guess it must work.