Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Poised

                                                                                                Mike Ansell

Delicate as a passing thought;
Slender as a sigh;
Living for the moment
Not knowing it must die.
Poised in weightless fashion,
Crimson in the light.
Destined for departure
Before the coming night.
*
--------------------------------------------------------
 

CROWNED WITH GLORY?

I can't remember being six during this momentous year.
Vague recollections come to me, but nothing very clear.
I was at school, of course, and so there must have been celebrations,
Maybe mugs like this dispersed, and lots of decorations.
*
The vivid memories I have are of the present Queen
Being crowned, in London, for I was on the scene.
Not there in the Abbey! For I was of no account,
And members of the public didn't rate a great amount.
No, I was in the thronging crowd that filled the streets that day,
Back then when Royals had not displayed their woeful feet of clay!
I was in my twenties then! Oh what a heady age!
I really felt I was strutting on Life's enormous stage!
The rain came down, my view was blocked, my feet got damp and sore
But dutifully I added to the crowd's triumphant roar!
A New Elizabethan Age had dawned, we felt that then;
And Hillary climbed Everest! Most heroic of men!
The spirit of Great Britain was joyful and uplifting!
At last the clouds left by The War were to the distance shifting!
The new Queen was a lovely girl! Her husband was a dish!
It seemed, that day, as though we could make true our every wish!
*
My grandson, Harry, last year became six.
And, oh dear me, the world is looking in a pretty fix!
So many dreams gone down the drain, so many hopes departed!
So many ideals trashed it seems! No wonder we're downhearted.
My memories of six years old are vague in the extreme.
So will his be all misty, as in some forgotten dream.
But, by the time he's twenty, more than just a little boy,
I hope he feels, as I did, full of optimistic joy.
*

4 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

Poised is just lovely!

Jingle Poetry At Olive Garden said...

this reminds me of magpie tale last year.
superb poetry.

Jingle Poetry At Olive Garden said...

Greetings,

How are you?

Jingle Poetry has moved, we are doing poetry picnic now, our week 1 theme is

“Adam and Eve” ,


Please feel free to join us, all are very welcome!
Blessings fly your way!
xoxox


your support is appreciated and remembered.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

You have great memories, I remember 1. I was asked to sit beside a filthy smelly Malay boy, and I refused.