Friday, July 16, 2010

A Diamond Mouse


                                              

POETS UNITED
 'Diamonds'

A DIAMOND MOUSE

For the girl who has everything, I present
A gift that she'll think heaven-sent!
It's something she's needed about the house!
Yes! It's a diamond-encrusted mouse!
Not the sort one keeps as a pet,
And costing a great deal more I suspect!
I thought of buying one for myself
When I saw one on the Cartier shelf.
But when I held it to give it a try
It scratched my hand and I gave a cry
'Take the ridiculous thing away!
I can afford it! I can pay!
But at home I have something more fantastic......
A well-worn mouse that's made of plastic.
It's black and boring, not slightly grand,
But it fits so well in the palm of my hand!
Keep your diamonds' I say 'That's flat!
(Anyway 'mouses' are a bit old hat!')
*
-------------------------------------------------------------


QUID PRO QUO 
(An Acrostic)

Questions arise about this phrase!
Unless they’re answered I’m in a daze!
Is the meaning 'tit-for-tat'?
'Do this for me and I’ll do that?'
*
Perhaps the Latin suits it better
Revealing the meaning in each letter.
Or do we use Latin just to be clever?
*
Queries just go on for ever.
Useless to explain the reason
Out goes Latin till next season!
*

10 comments:

Robert Lloyd said...

Brenda you are always so quick with your wit. This poem was fun and you took it to a place I would have never imagined. From the photo it means someone actually did this...A diamond mouse? Wow to be foolish and rich...

I love Quid Pro Quo too. I am astonished to know how many people use that phrase with no clue as to its meaning. Thank you for sharing such your poetry is always enjoyable to read.

Darlene said...

I agree with Robert Lloyd; today's poems were fun to read. You are a clever poetess.

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

A diamond mouse!

Anonymous said...

Wow wonderful poem and beautiful image :D , i would love to have one of those mouse XD, thank for sharing =D

Mary said...

Brenda, I love your diamond poem and your sense of humor!

http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2010/07/diamond-ring.html

Diane T said...

Funny, funny, funny! I love your style, Brenda!

Mory said...

i agree with Diane, your poetry style is truly unique. lovely poem

Jingle said...

you are so very creative,
love the cute words...

brenda w said...

This is great Brenda! Witty, clever, fun. I love it! The things the world devises, good Lord!

Carrie Van Horn said...

This one is truly fun and creative!
:-)