Monday, July 5, 2010

Tentative Toad

                                      American Toad

Diana
of
has adopted a toad and this is for her.

TENTATIVE TOAD!

Diana has built a house for me
And I am truly flattered.
For I never realised that toads
Were a species that really mattered!
She even stands and talks to me
As I go hopping around,
Past the little seedlings
And the pebbles on the ground.
She wants me to go inside the house....
I know, for she tells me so,
But I am rather a wary toad
And that she doesn't know.
She watches as I hop across
To where the house is standing,
But then I hop away again!
It's beyond her understanding!
I think Diana and I are friends;
She's always smiling at me!
I even think she may bend down
And, one day, try to pat me!
And I feel warmly towards her
(Although my blood is cold)
And although I wouldn't be too pleased
If she picked me up to hold.
But what she doesn't realise,
And what I'm about to state,
Is that I'm a sort of expert
In matters of Real Estate!
Somewhere in the next-door garden
I've a growing family.
I'd like to move to Diana's place
But there's only room for me!
Remember 'Wind in the Willows'?
Remember 'Toad of Toad Hall'?
That toad had a dwelling
That was carpeted wall to wall!
I'm looking for a mansion,
And that is why I came!
I appreciate all your efforts
But you'll have to lift your game!
*

5 comments:

Diana said...

Oh Brenda this was beautiful! And yes I have petted him. He did end up hoping in the toad house for a moment this morning. I think you are right about a family in the next yard as I watched him hop away this morning towards the yard next door :( hope he comes back!
Your poem was very special to me. If he never comes back I will have the fun memory of his visit and the beautiful words of your poem,Thank you so much! Love Di ♥

The Quintessential Magpie said...

This is so adorable! You have me smiling from ear to ear! LOL! I love the part about upping your game! ;-)

Thanks for the smiles...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Lois Evensen said...

How very darling! What a wonderful poem. I "hopped" over here from Diana's to read the poem. It's so nice to see your blog.

Best,
Lois

Vicki said...

What an adorable poem about Mr. Toad. I am sure Diana is quite thrilled to have Mr. Toad become famous!

Wanda..... said...

Great poem about Di's toad!