Monday, July 5, 2010

The Effect


Was Van Gogh short-sighted? I'd really like to know.
His 'Starry Night' reminds me of the way I saw the glow
Before my sight was rectified by a cataract operation,
When stars, for me, were always a fuzzy illumination!
I always thought great blossoms filled up the midnight sky
For everybody else as well.......crysanthemums on high!
I now see stars as pinpricks, sharp etchings on the dark,
Not hazy balls of brilliance surrounding a central spark!
But when I see this painting I feel a certain pain.
That beauty's gone for ever, it will never be mine again.
Did the artist just imagine this? It does intrigue me so.
Was Van Gogh short-sighted? I'd really like to know.

*
---------------------------------------------------------------------



THE PARTIALLY CHIPPED HEART

(The opening words come from Keats 'Ode To a Nightingale')

My heart aches and a drowsy numbness
Pains my senses through and through.
My love has left me and I wrestle
With the anguish flowing through...
Through my heart and very being
Like a poison in my veins,
All the love I had to give her
As a bitter taste remains.
Chloe! Chloe! Why desert me
Just when love was flowing free!
Chloe! Chloe! We were learning
Just how wondrous love can be!
I am weeping tears so scalding
That they burn my pallid cheeks!
I can hear your voice within me
And how cruelly it speaks!
I shall never love another!
You have broken my poor heart!
*
Who's that coming through the doorway?
Yippee! Here comes Phoebe Smart!
*

10 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Brenda, just love it! Van Gogh was one of my all time favourite artists! Such a compelling life.

Annie Jeffries said...

Starry Night image immediately drew me in to this post. The pondering and musing kept me here.

SmilingSally said...

I've always loved Van Gogh's work. This is one of his most famous pieces. Your interpretation has me thinking: "chrysanthemums on high"--what a poet you are!

Happy Blue Monday, Brenda!

eileeninmd said...

Starry Night is one of my favorites. Lovely poems and post. Happy Blue Monday!

LV said...

I love most all art. This is no exception. Very good.

Kim, USA said...

Fantastic one! Happy Monday!
BM~Peacock

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I like to think that he could see things that no one else could see because he was "in-sighted."

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Loved this! You are SO creative!

Happy Blue Monday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Erica (Irene) said...

Love any painting by Van Gogh. Thanks for sharing, great Blog you have.

http://erica-sweetonyou.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know but you made me wonder too. I've seen this picture/painting featured on some sites and blogs but I didn't think of it that way.

Anyway, I hope you still have a happy blue monday.

Mizpah,
Li