Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Nasturtium Nibbles


ABC WEDNESDAY
http://abcwednesdayround3.blogspot.com/

NASTURTIUM NIBBLES

Looking for something bright but frugal,
I took a little peek in Google.
What should I find but a tasty snack
Designed to stop a hunger attack!
Take nasturtium blossoms (they grow like crazy)!
They're easy to pick (in case you're lazy)!
Wash them swiftly under the tap;
Chemicals might cause mishap!
Place leaves to cover a serving plate
And lay out the blossoms. They'll look great.
The yellows, oranges and reds
Look as good as they do in flower-beds.
Now to fill those bright rosettes.
This is as easy as it gets!
Make three fillings to give variety,
Something admired in our society.
Number one take some cream cheese
And mix with pineapple. (It's a breeze).
Number two cream cheese and chives,
(Quick! Before your guest arrives!)
Third, a spoonful of ham spread;
(Bound to give you Kitchen Kred!)
Your guests can eat the whole array
And, on leaving, you'll hear them say
'Floral nibbles! How enterprising!
Not only that but appetising!'
Take my word for it, no-one will quibble
When soothed by a Nasturtium Nibble!
*

------------------------------------------------------------


BRACKET CREEPS

Maude Edpot (91)
Kills her lover with a gun.
Brad Bustley (42)
Drowns in a vat of glue.
Merle Tichmans (63)
Swims the Mediterranean Sea.
Rita Redbull (44)
Intends to move to Baltimore.
Ted Finchset (55)
Eats furry caterpillars, live!
Rob Applerum (26)
Enjoys doing his magic tricks.
Mary Rifford (37)
Seen here on holiday in Devon.
Paul Pliggot (88)
Says he intends to hibernate.
Joe Hickham (69)
Daily drinks four bottles of wine!
*
Why does the local press,
Not content with name and address,
Have to state the subject's age
Clearly, on every printed page?
If I'm knocked over by a bus
I'll loudly scream and shout and cuss.
I'll quiver with my pent-up rage
But I certainly wont declare my age!
I won't be shouting out 'Yippee!
I'm in great pain, and I'm 73!'
Any reporter, standing by,
(Hoping that I'm going to die!)
May utter softly under his breath
'Looks 82 and near to death.'
I'll sturdily rise up from the ground,
Face those on-lookers standing round
And I'll declare 'Forget my age!
I'll sue if I see it on your page!
Write, if it's all the same to you
'Brenda,
MENTALLY TWENTY-TWO!'
*

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely BRILLIANT! Bracket Creeps had hubby & me in stitches. I loved the nastursium poem, thugh I'm not keen on them myself. Don't they have a rather peppery taste. Loved the poem though. :O)

Sylvia K said...

Fun post for the day! I love nasturtiums so I'm sure they'd made a good snack that I'd enjoy! Hope your week is going well, Brenda! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Janet said...

I like your rhymes! You are really good.

Wanda said...

How delightful! Who would have "Thunk" to eat those Nasturtiums.

Gigi Ann said...

I learned today that we can eat Nasturtium. Never heard of this flower before, let alone we could eat it.

Kay L. Davies said...

Good for you, Brenda. I hate (63) in parentheses after names in newspapers. Just realized my age is the same as the year I graduated from high school. And my husband points out my age will soon (in December) be the reverse of the year I was born, all of which is much more interesting than "Kay Davies (63) got killed by a falling tree"!

Kay, Alberta

photowannabe said...

Love the Nibbles poem. I have never had the flowers. Makes me want to try.

Roger Owen Green said...

I suppose the age adds context.
Nifty post.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Verna Luga said...

oo, that's so creative of you... nice plate presentation..

My ABC Wednesday here

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

lovely nimble...
cute n post.

Tumblewords: said...

Nasturtium nibbles sound nifty - I'm going to try that next year. I never quite understood the age detail in the news, either, but it's been going on forever and will probably continue til the ink dries up.

Strummed Words said...

Now I know how to eat nasturtium blossoms! Clever poem!