Monday, October 18, 2010

Hallo Sailor!

BLUE MONDAY

HALLO SAILOR!

A trifle, nothing more,
Up at Maroochidor.
On a Queensland holiday
Malcolm took this shot one day.
It's about three years ago.
(How I wish the years would slow!)
A Ginger Factory
Was where we happened to be.
Hence the Gingerbread man on guard
Outside in the yard.
We looked a matching pair
As the two of us stood there,
Both in blue and white,
Smiling with all our might.
A jolly little chap
To be in a holiday snap.
*
--------------------------------------------------------------------


STAYING-POWER

Is your husband still around? I bet his name is Max!
And is it a case, dear Maxine, of ' an opposite attracts?'
Is he one of those people whose temper is rather short,
And then it's over and done with? I bet Max is that sort.
Does he explode in a fury and then forget the cause?
Is he all sunny and cheerful after the briefest pause?
I have a husband like that, dear, and it really isn't fair!
Just when I'm getting all worked up, his bad mood isn't there!
While I'm still churning inwardly he's whistling a jolly tune!
While I'm immersed in a nasty mood he's happy very soon!
I can be put-out for hours and hours, longing to use my tongue!
While he's forgotten the whole thing, I'm still feeling stung!
I rehearse all manner of ripostes, witty words to say
Which are bound to make me the winner and really make him pay.
I brood...... yes, that's the word...... I brood, I sulk, if you must know!
I grunt in response to queries, glowering at the foe!
While he's completely forgotten whatever we argued about,
I'm putting on mental boxing-gloves, ready for another bout!
'I can stay mad for days!' you say! Hour stretches into hour.
You and I, Maxine, my dear,
We've got staying-power!
*

10 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Ah, Brenda, these are two very good ones. ;) I identify with the sailor (he says he is a "seaman") and with Max (and Maxine.) ;)

Auntie E said...

Love the first photo. Reminds me of time spent with Mom...
My Blue Monday link for you

SmilingSally said...

LOL

You've got me laughing, Brenda, and I thank you for that. I ❤ that sailor picture and your poem.

Isn't it odd that we look back and wish we still looked/felt like that and yet we neglected to fully appreciate it at the time?

Happy Blue Monday.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Fun and clever prose. Love the "Seaman" picture.

Annie Jeffries said...

Love the picture! It got my morning off to a very good start.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Brenda, I love your poem and what a cute pic of you with the Gingerbread Man! :-)

And I have always enjoyed Maxine. I think all of us at one time or another have a bit of either Maxine or Max in us, whether we admit it or not. You think???

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, and I almost forgot... Happy Blue Monday!!! :-)

Joyful said...

So cute the gingerbread man. One of my favourite stories as a young one was the Gingerbread Boy. Happy Blue Monday.

Donnie said...

Great photo - I love your blue sailor. Happy Blue Monday.

LV said...

What a bright and cheerful way to start Blue Monday off. Enjoyed my visit and your blog very much.