Sunday, October 3, 2010

If At First.....



ONE SINGLE IMPRESSION

IF AT FIRST.......

'Try' is such an exhausting word!
And, without ability, it seems absurd!
Trying? Well it's rather trying!
So noble and so death-defying!
I've always taken the easiest way
Of getting through each coming day.
I've never strained, I've never striven!
My lack of spine can't be forgiven.
As soon as I dropped my very first ball
I said 'I don't want sport at all!'
As soon as I hit a faulty key.
I said 'The piano's not for me.'
When someone suggested mountain-climbing,
I said 'I think I'll stick to rhyming.'
The mantra that really suited me
Was ' Just enjoy what comes easily'.
You look at me, I know, askance,
Giving me a scornful glance.
'Only effort means a thing;
Effort can make a man a king!'
Oh I'd like to be a pianist,
Doing my best for Mr Liszt!
I'd like to win some lovely medals,
For turning wheels and pushing pedals!
But all the effort that goes before
Makes me wonder what it's for.
It's lovely for those who are spectators,
But tiring for participators!
My little 'gifts', to write, to act,
Have filled my life and that's a fact.
*
See the two snails up above!
There's one who certainly needs a shove;
He's 'tried' but he has still been beaten.
And even the winner will be eaten!
*
---------------------------------------------------------


WHERE IS THE MUSIC?
(To the tune of 'Waltzing Matilda')

Chorus. Where is the music? Where are the lyrics?
Where are the tunes, when there's nothing but row?
When the words are all rot and the drums beat on incessantly,
Where are the songs of the here and the now?

Verse. When our mothers were young they sang some pretty melodies;
Maybe 'Maccushla' or 'Rose of Tralee'.
And the words always rhymed and the songs were always singable
Round the piano at night after tea.

Chorus

Verse. And what of the songs we sang when we were growing up;
'Over the Rainbow' and 'How High the Moon'?
In the back of the car we'd carol very happily.
Everyone knew how to sing every tune.

Chorus

Verse. Even our children had songs that they could sing-along;
'Daydream Believer' and then 'Barbara Ann'.
They were songs from the discos but even we were humming them.
Soon after that all the rubbish began!

Chorus

Verse. Bring back the meaning! Write some lovely melodies!
Give us a story that, too, plays a part.
When the young ones are 'oldies' whatever will they whistle to?
Bring back the music! You're breaking my heart!

Chorus 
*

5 comments:

Amity said...

*smiles* trying...and really your poem is always awesome and entertaining, hence i love reading them and i can also learn a lesson or two...:)

gautami tripathy said...

Trying is easier said than done! I liked how you depicted it.

Patti said...

Effort and trying speak volumes even in loss. So very creatively done!

Erratic Thoughts said...

Ouch!That was harsh Reality...very pragmatic approach to life!
Trying is exhaustive,couldn't agree more...

gabrielle said...

I for one am happy that rhyming comes easily to you. I always enjoy the delivery vehicle for your wry humor and poignant themes.