Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mascara



ABC WEDNESDAY
MASCARA

Before there was mascara, the Egyptians had their kohl.
This was to keep evil spirits from entering the soul!
They believed these spirits entered through the orifice of the eye
And if they let them in then it was certain they would die.
Children's eyes were 'protected' with a mixture, partly soot,
And thickly round the eyelids this 'medicine' was put.
This practice is still existing as the picture below reveals.
I'd love to ask the baby exactly how it feels!

Well, obviously the ladies found it increased their allure!
Their rich dark lashes made their eyes seem bold and bright for sure!
*
In BC 100 meagre eye-lashes pointed to
Very immoral behaviour! Men thought this was true!
It was said that a woman's lashes fell out if she misbehaved,
And utterly virginal women were what the husbands craved!
So, even more kohl was administered, to keep the record straight!
'Black and bushy' was the way to go when looking for a mate.
Elizabeth Taylor depicted Cleopatra of the Nile;
The blackened eyes were certainly part of her seductive style!

In the Victorian era, dark lashes were admired.
Ash and berries were mixed to make quite sure a girl was squired!
Then along came Eugene Rimmel, using soot and vaseline!
Yes, the king of modern cosmetics was now on the mascara scene.
But 1933 caused quite a downturn in its use,
Lash Allure caused blindness; it was treated as abuse.

Darkened eyes are still admired, and safety is assured,
Though careful work with brush and cream has to be endured.
So, when applying mascara, (and looking quite sublime),
Remember that lash-enhancing's been around a long, long time.
*

---------------------------------------------------------------------


A SONNET

Time, which was once a wide, unbounded sea,
An ocean stretching far into a dream,
Is now down at my feet, a little stream,
The 'distant shore' now very near to me.
When, as a child, I viewed eternity,
And saw the water's brilliant colours gleam,
'Forever' was a very simple theme,
Unending time a certain destiny.
But, now, one step is all I need to take
To cross the stream and reach the other side.
How is it that Forever's shrunk so small?
That step, will it be very hard to make?
And, at the last, will Time once more seem wide?
And will I ever understand it all?
*

15 comments:

Whitesnake said...

Such diverse topics, impressive.

LV said...

I am glad I did not live there in those days. I cannot wear mascara now as my eyes bother me too much. So happy you dropped by my place today. I would be honored and pleased if you wrote a poem about my precious great grandson and his catch. I am joining your other friends as a follower.

LV said...

I forgot to mention if you should write a poem about his fishing trip, his name is Layton. Naturally, you know I must have a copy.

Granny Smith said...

Cute and fun, as usual. I've tried mascara a few times at various stages of my life, but all it ever did was make look ill or unwashed!

Sylvia K said...

What a terrific post for the M Day! And how fun! Interesting history about eye makeup! Hope your week is going well, Brenda!

Sylvia

Hildred said...

Like your info on mascara, but love your sonnet!

Berowne said...

Interesting. I just "did" Cleopatra, complete with mascara, a short while ago. Great minds... {-)

photowannabe said...

I think this is such an original post. Mascara never entered my mind at all. Interesting and informative.

Gigi Ann said...

I don't use Mascara, it always bothered my eyes and made them itch and burn. And I don't see all that well, so just gave it up. What you see is what you get. ; )

Roger Owen Green said...

i don't use mascara either.

kohl and soul - love that rhyme!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Verna Luga said...

Ah, woman thou art vain... but been using this one too.. thanks to cleopatra... lol.

Have a nice time!
My ABC Wednesday Here

Amy said...

Wow, I never would have thought of mascara! Your first photo reminded me of the movie, "Babies." One of the youngsters (all under one) featured was from Africa.

Tumblewords: said...

Hm. I haven't thought about mascara in quite a while! A fascinating topic, indeed!

Gattina said...

I always use mascara, otherwise I look like a ghost !
I tried Khol but it's too difficult, I prefer liquid mascara for my eyes.
Interesting post !


Gattina from the ABC team

Kay L. Davies said...

I am forever buying new mascaras. An occasion will arise for which I need to "dress" and I can't find my mascara. I have very pale, sparse lashes and (I think) small eyes, so I seem to think I need mascara. I once tried false eyelashes, but they kept hitting the insides of my eyeglasses.
Enough about that. I love your sonnet, Brenda. Very thought-provoking.
K