Thursday, October 7, 2010

Americanese


MAGPIE TALES.
http://www.magpietales.blogspot.com/

AMERICANESE!

The language of Americans; that old Americanese!
They seem to think it charms the very leaves down off the trees!
Even I've learnt to say 'O.K.' though I haven't stooped to 'guy',
I hang-on to my Britishness! Yes, I really try!
I think the old word 'Autumn' is the one of the best around;
Say it and one sees the golden leaves down on the ground.
But 'Fall' is even lovelier! Just listen to it!.....'Fall'.
Somehow in just one syllable that little word says it all.
See the trees as they dwindle down, 'falling' into decay!
See the old nests crumbling as the birds all fly away!
See the greenery fading and merging with the earth!
Feel the 'falling' spirits; melancholy and not mirth.
If I said 'Fall' in Australia I'd be considered strange;
Our language is from the Old Country and we're not inclined to change!
In any case, it's Spring here! That nobody denies.
Some people may be 'falling' but we are on the rise!
*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                    Sisley

VAGUE
(An Acrostic)

Valleys and hills dissolve in mist
All is vague, all merged, and faint.
Gardens with flowers and trees persist
Under a pale and light-starved paint.
Earth with a muted atmosphere.
An artist's view of a fading year.
*

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Here we are ready to tuck in for the winter and you're just waking up....
may you have a beautiful, colorful Spring :)

Mary said...

Hmmm, I sometimes say 'autumn' and sometimes say 'fall.' Hadn't realized it wasn't the same everywhere.

Unknown said...

Here we are ready to tuck in for winter and you're just waking up :)

Have a beautiful, colorful Spring

geraldgee said...

Somebody once told me that contempory American language is very similar to old English,is this true? did we once use "fall"?

Reflections said...

Whether it be 'autumn' or 'fall' to me it brings to mind majestic colors, beautiful displays of natures beauty, oneness with all that is.... whereever it may be.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought before about a link between spring and fall - I still prefer autumn. Nice Magpie

Deborah said...

Wonderful poems.

Susannah said...

It is Autumn (a beautiful word) here, but I agree that 'fall' is so descriptive! :-)

Nice writing.

Doctor FTSE said...

In the very best Rinkly Tradition.

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh, I can just hear your voice in this piece, Brenda. Very nice.

Kat said...

Never knew that the 'Autumn' was so sweet and the 'fall' fells everything..!!! :-))))

Helen said...

Americanese and Vague .... great titles ....loved both of them.

kathi harris said...

Am happy 4 u. U r looking 2 the warmth ... we not eagerly the cold.

christine said...

Very clever twist to the prompt and I loved the rhyming.

Suz said...

so informative
of the British nature
good for you
but I'm not giving up my Americanese either guys ;)
loved this post

Lyn said...

I am so impressed by your "language", that of a true writer..the lilt of your poem is enticing..and spring, I'm for that, will have to wait!!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

fall into decay,
it spring in your place, while others fall, you rise....


very playful and cool piece.
love your intelligence here.

Carrie Van Horn said...

Fall or Autumn it is beautiful and so are your words! Love this one Brenda! :-)

* said...

Britishisms slay me, I spent last fall in the UK and loved the "wee" and "gents" and everything else from steak & kidney pies to the peas.

A fun, whimsical Magpie, a delight to read!

Tumblewords: said...

Always a good read or two found here - thanks!

spacedlaw said...

Both are wonderful words, but it's the season that wins