Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wotting


BIFOCAL UNIVISION
http://bifocalunivision.blogspot.com
asks me to weave a story round this object
Well, I can't!


WOTTING!

The world is full of curious things
That I do not wot of,
Such is this thingummy-doodah
Illustrated above!
To write a story about it
Has put me on the spot,
But at least it's made me think about
That funny old phrase.....'God wot.'
*
'Wot' was sort of invented
By a poet called T. E. Brown
Who thought some thoughts about gardens
And wanted to write them down.
'A garden is a lovesome thing'
He wrote of his garden plot
Then, looking for a cosy rhyme,
He added on 'God wot'.
Now I like making-up new words
(And Shakespeare did as well)
But the birth of 'wot' coincided
With the little word's funeral knell.
It didn't ever catch-on I fear,
We don't spend much time 'wotting',
Even when in the garden,
Weeding or re-potting.
*
T.E. Brown based his little word
On the perfectly valid 'wit';
Meaning 'knowledge' or 'cleverness'
And it could have been a hit.
'A garden is a lovesome thing
As God already knows',
Is a phrase that's quite poetic;
One could even say it flows.
But T. E. Brown chose to use 'wot'
And with that we have to live,
Although I do acknowledge
That was his prerogative.
*
Which brings me to my 'wotting',
And the reason for this rhyme.
I could research the photo
But I haven't got the time.
I could get a magnifying glass
And read the script thereon,
But by the time I'd done that,
My Muse would have upped and gone.
So I'll simply write the following,
Though it doesn't help a lot.......
'This object is a curious thing'.
And then I'll add
'God wot'.
*
---------------------------------------------------------------




SPOTLIGHT
Everything is a toy to you when you are not quite four.
This light is meant to show the key the way to unlock the door
When it's dark at night and shadowy, and you're inclined to fumble
And maybe, a coming storm is on its way with a flash and rumble.
But for Max this is a toy, designed to make red noses.
Yes, when you're only not-quite-four everything comes up roses!
*

8 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Love the "wotting while potting", Brenda.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Mary said...

I like your second poem, as it reminds me of my little granddaughter, not quite four. Such a delightful age. I pray she will remain as 'delightful' as she gets older!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love the phrase 'God wot' and use it all the time - got into the habit from my mother...

Laurie Kolp said...

I love how you have captured the pure essence of not quite four-years-old boys.

Mary Ann Potter said...

Great! What a nice collection of words and ideas. And what a marvelous way to avoid writer's block! The second poem is so appropriate, too. I have a grandson who's just a little over a month old now; watching him develop is amazing.

Jinksy said...

You've lit up my nose with this onE LOL ♥

Kathe W. said...

clever you! and I love your Grandson's use of the flashlight-

Bubba said...

But at least you were able to weave a story about not being able to weave a story. (LOL!)

Thanks for playing M.M.P.P.