Friday, November 18, 2011

I Am


POETS UNITED
http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com
asks us to consider our own being


I AM

'I think, therefore I am.'
An age-old philosophy.
If one is thinking a thought, it says,
Then, clearly, one must 'be'.
I certainly think I exist,
But what is in my head
Is the thing that I shall miss most
When, finally, I am dead.
So, when all thought ceases,
Will my body disappear?
Of course it wont, but it will for me
And that's what we're considering here.
In fact, the whole darned universe
Will just become non-existent,
Although, in all my thinking years,
It's been solid and persistent.
So maybe thought is the only thing
That really and truly exists!
Now there's a fundamental thought
For the fundamentalists!
'I am', the title of this piece,
May simply be a lie!
I'm thinking, but I wonder,
Very often,
Why.

Engraving of Descartes by Balthasar Moncornot

Thank you, Descartes, you've given me a headache!
*
------------------------------------------------------------------------



Simple Alphabet

KITE

Young Ken was incredibly slight;
He was skinny and tiny and light.
I know it sounds weird
But he's now disappeared,
Hanging-on to the end of a kite!
*

9 comments:

Raining Iguanas said...

Let me be the first to say, "Such Fun" -both pieces.

rch said...

Hi RR, I think your thoughts might require some cogitation - Excellent!

Oh and I think I saw Ken fly by but it was snowing so I'm not sure ;-)

Brother Ollie said...

Your poem "does my head in"...but in a good way.

I Am - indeed!

Bubba said...

When I'm confronted with a "Why?" my first reaction is usually to think "Why not?"

I don't care if I really exist as long as I think I do.

Ella said...

You always interject so much insight in so few words~ Well Done!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I really enjoyed your poem and I enjoyed even more Eric's comment. Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

good thoughts here

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

beautiful thoughts,

Happy Thanksgiving.

:)

Neni said...

i love the poem of KITE... Cool poem... :)