Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Eye Of the Beholder



'Get rid of that tree, Mum!'
That was my son speaking.
True the tree is past it's best,
Straggly and creaking.
Although the leaves so far above
Cast a lovely shade
It's not a thing of beauty
In some lovely  sylvan glade!
*
'I love that tree against the fence'
That was Pam, my friend.
'I love the way the branches
Seem to gently curve and bend.
I love the Oriental look
Against the new bamboo.
If you should chop it down I know
That you would spoil the view!'
*
This is my 'new' garden,
Not wild as it once was,
But I find I like the new look,
And, partly, that's because
I have a straggly, past-it tree
That, who knows why, appeals to me.
*
--------------------------------------------------------------


POKOLBIN

Any Sunday, any time, and any sort of season
Novocastrians take a drive, and for a very good reason.
They drive to the Hunter Valley through rich and ripening vines
Forgetting that, beneath them, lie the tunnels of the mines,
And they come upon Pokolbin, where the glorious gardens spread,
With the little Brokenback Mountains rising far ahead.
Twenty-five acres of gardens each with its own design
And outdoor tables made for lazing, sipping Hunter Valley wine.
With thirty-five thousand roses, they could wander round for weeks,
Unless they were diverted by the riveting boutiques!
It's a garden, it's a playground, it's a place to ease your mind,
The Hunter Valley Gardens are joy. And what a find!
*


9 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Lovely shadows and delightful words as always, Brenda! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Alissa Nicolau said...

Nice shadow shot. Impressive About Me blurb!

Karen said...

I like the look of the tree's trunks. Neat fence shadaow.

Kay L. Davies said...

Keep the tree. Oh, do keep the tree. Unless it rots or something, past-it can be lovely, Brenda.
Love the contrast with the immaculate trees in the garden below. I'll bet none of them are allowed to get "past it"!!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Gengen said...

Always having a great post for SSS!

Hey Harriet said...

I like your scraggly tree. I vote to keep it! Very nice bamboo fence and shadows too! Have a great week :)

Becky Chalet said...

It appeals to me too,
with that intricate bamboo.

Kathe W. said...

I like the curvy tree in front of the stalwart bamboo...leave it!
Nice shadows!

Anonymous said...

Cool photos. Fun poem. Thanks for these.

All the best, Boonie