Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Antipodean Monsters




ABC WEDNESDAY
http://abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.com/


ANTIPODEAN MONSTERS!

Down here, in the Antipodes,
Floating in the Southern seas,
We walk upright and quite erect
Not upsidedown as some suspect!
Our bodies are, indeed, designed
With every organ so aligned,
As to copy, faithfully,
Bodies of all humanity.
Yet there was a time, some time ago,
When 'we' were not imagined so!
If you go back eight hundred years
A different view of 'us' appears!
Our continent was filled by these
Creatures known as Skiopades !
At least that's what all men believed.
(It wasn't true, and I'm relieved!)
'We' were known as Shadow-foot creatures
With the most obscure of features.......
Absolutely enormous feet
Designed to shelter 'us' from the heat!
'Our' looks expressed a great variety;
'We' were a truly odd society!
Great big lips and single eyes!
Oh how they could fantasise!
Above, see one of the illustrations;
What a feast for imaginations!
But, fear not, we are just like you,
Give or take a very few!
In fact, we're nobler and more smart;
Fair of feature, kind of heart!
Being the last to be created
We are much more highly rated!
I had better stop forthwith
Before I create another myth!
*
------------------------------------------------------


WORLD ECONOMY
(An Acrostic)

'Which way, what way, why and how?'
Our questions in the here and now.
Recently, not long ago,
Lots of us were flush with dough.
Dabbling in stocks and shares
*
Everything caught us unawares!
Countries widely separated
Overnight became related.
Nothing could save us! We went under!
Overdrawn! It was no wonder.
Megabucks went down the drain.
You and I caught in the rain!
*
------------------------------------------------------------
PS

My pee-esses recently have been based on tragedy; herewith, joy. My little garden is, at last complete! Although we're into the 'gilding the lily' phase at the moment and likely overdo things a bit, I find myself feasting my eyes on it all the time! Some of you may have followed the drama of my emotional collapse (!) when my jasmine hedge had to be replaced by a commercial plastic fence! (It's still there, but, mercifully, hidden!).


I can't help thinking how I'd feel if all this were swept away in a flood! Because that's exactly what has happened to thousands of Queenslanders! But here's a joyful item about the floods! Sri Lanka (itself suffering) has donated masses of tea to Queensland because it knows how a cup of tea will cheer people of British descent! How's that for a good news item!!!!!
*

13 comments:

La said...

Hi there!

Your garden is lovely. It is freezing cold here and there aren't many colors outside of white and brown to be found.

Have a wonderful day! La

??? said...

What a lovely garden.
I came across that picture of the antipodean monsters in an old book as a child and I have been fascinated by it ever since :)

Sylvia K said...

Love your ANTIPODEAN MONSTERS! What a wild, fun post for the A Day! And, of course, I love your garden -- particularly since we're all GRAY!! Hope your week is going well, Brenda!

Sylvia
ABC Team

Roger Owen Green said...

Those are SCARY folks you've described. I like my folks with TWO eyes; bigotry, I know.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Kay L. Davies said...

My husband just came home from walking the dog. It took both of us a long time to get all the snow off her, because the wind was picking it up and blowing it. He got pictures, which I'll post soon.
How I'd love to be sitting in your beautiful new garden right now, perhaps on one of those seats under the canopy!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

photowannabe said...

Unique poetry this week and so happy that Queensland will be better after their cuppa.

Hildred said...

Wonderful rhymes, - I had not heard of the strange creatures of the Antipodes, but always found the ones I met quite ordinary and lovable. Your garden looks so inviting, but I can imagine your reaction to the loss of the jasmine hedge, - emotional collapse says it all!

Tumblewords: said...

Wonderful A post. I must say your garden is absolutely charming. Easy for me to imagine sitting there with a cup of tea and a good book.

Gattina said...

The Antipodean Monsters are rather scary, I prefer your beautiful garden !
Gattina
ABC Team

chiccoreal said...

Dear Brenda: An most spectacular poem re: Antipodean those ancient monsters of the deep which live surface lives here and now! As us! Are we really that bad? Headless man with face on his chest, I guess he had to adapt somehow! hahah! What a laugh! Down under will bounce back like all of us...I think this is a mere "adjustment". A fin de siecle thing..hopefully.Excellent verse and your garden is lovely. I've been praying for all of you in the DU during the floods! Maybe we'll flipflop and you'll be Up Over!

jijie said...

I'm your newest follower from ABC-WED, hope you will follow me back here@ Step Up
Take Care

Beverley Baird said...

What a lovely place of peace!
Great poetry as well!
Take care!

Unknown said...

What an awesome A day post. Love your ANTIPODEAN MONSTERS poem.